Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs and seals

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hushtalk, Oct 6, 2013.

1. hushtalk

hushtalk PetForums Senior

I have had some discussions on facebook lately.
    We see a lot of seals peeking every day when we get perry to swim.

A local said not to worry as he swims with his dog inbetween them and as long you dont approach them yourself we should be fine.

But others on fb for example say to stay away completely as they are violent!

Anyone here having experience with seals?

[​IMG]

2. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

No personal experience, I believe there was a dog who had to be PTS because of injuries caused by a seal? I'm sure someone can either confirm or correct that!
    I wouldn't let Tia swim near seals but I don't let her off lead anywhere near any animals except other dogs, just seems sensible to me lol, that's probably just personal preference depending on your dog though.

3. hushtalk

I have read the article of the hunter who had to do pts indeed,... but they never mentioned that the seal could be scared because of gun shots or the dog indeed did approach the seal etc.

Perry only has eye for his ball and won't even go close to any other animal.
    So according what to local said, as long he won't get near he should be safe.

4. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

No seals here but I expect Apollo would probably think it was a friend and swim out to it, getting himself in serious trouble, so im glad there's no seals here. honestly if there were I would keep Apollo away from the water and perhaps find a river or something for him to swim in instead. Seals can be very nasty

5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Seals can do some serious damage so personally I wouldn't take the risk.

At this time of year the females are within weeks or occasionally days of giving birth, your dog along with the risk to themselves can cause damage to the seals. By November the males are fighting for control of a group of females, a dog can get caught between two battling males. The males kill seal pups and young females by accident if you see some of the wounds they are quite shocking.

Seals are also affected by the same diseases as dogs, distemper and parvo virus in particular.

In a few weeks your dog will be banned from the seal beaches while they pup.

For those who want to go without your dogs I can seriously recommend Donna Nook in Lincolnshire for a day out during November and early December. I will try and post some of my pictures of the seals giving birth. You can watch the seals give birth from only a few feet away, with a fence between you and the seals there are wildlife wardens to chat and give you information.

6. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Wow, lovely!

I wouldn't let mine near a seal, just because I'm very precious over them and I'd die if I let something happen to them.

7. Calinyx

Calinyx PetForums VIP

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

This is where I plan to visit this year. Unfortunately every time I tried last year there was heavy fog which I didn't fancy driving in.

9. hushtalk

I will be careful. We have the river behind us too. So he's happy to swim there too. I might go in myself with him though

10. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I don't feel it's fair to the seals myself and there is a known risk of diseases being spread to seals from dogs as they have a different immune response. The National Trust advise leads and caution at Blakeney Point in Norfolk. In Cornwall I always kept our dogs on leads or walked them elsewhere if there were seals, there are plenty of other places to exercise but seals don't have the choice to move if they are due to have pups.

Interactions between seals and dogs

11. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

A dog was mauled by seals and died last year, i let Dan swim in the sea but we don't have seals here, they stay further along the coast.

BBC News - Dog put down after seal attack in sea in Aberdeenshire

personally i wouldn't let my dogs go swimming anywhere near seals, they are so aggressive and much larger than most people realise!!!

12. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I remember the attack in Aberdeenshire, and I heard of near attacks on the east coast of the Highlands. Personally I wouldn't risk it, you can never be sure where they are and their jaws are incredibly powerful.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

But how do you know where the seal is, when it's under the surface?
    I'd keep my dogs out of the sea if I thought any large predators were around.
    Paddling in the shallows would be OK though.

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

If I could see them I wouldn't let a dog near them they can do serious damage. You can't always tell they're there though.

15. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

This is Florence's experience with meeting a seal :) safely behind glass I must add!

In all seriousness if I knew there were seals sighted on our local estuary walk I would keep the dogs on lead near the water, or better still avoid the area completely. Not worth a risk to either creature.

16. LynnM

LynnM PetForums Senior

I remember a while back (just googled it and found it happened in 2002) an injured german shepherd cross was frightened by the approach of a walker with his dogs and jumped into the River Tees. It was swept away on the strong current and was close to drowning when a common seal circled around it and then pushed it back to land.

A member of the fire brigade who had earlier been called out to rescue it arrived to see the dog on dry land and 3 seals bobbing in the water and keeping an eye on the dog. :)

Doesn't mean they'll all be so friendly though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice