UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
I was just wondering how everyone dogs get on with their rabbits??
I am thinking about getting a dog and wondered how other people get on.

Any advice would be fantastic

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
When I was a child we owned a staffy and a big white bunny (sorry I dont know what breed), they used to sit and groom each other, when the bunny died the dog pined for weeks and kept going to where his hutch had been to make sure he wasnt there.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aww thats cute about the groming.:)

I porbably wont let them in together though, i just wondered if the dog would stalk the rabbits through the fencing. When they have free run of the garden i would make sure the dog didnt get out.
I think Buzz would scare most dogs with his loud thumping anyway, lol

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
aww thats cute about the groming.:)

I porbably wont let them in together though, i just wondered if the dog would stalk the rabbits through the fencing. When they have free run of the garden i would make sure the dog didnt get out.
I think Buzz would scare most dogs with his loud thumping anyway, lol
No I probably would'nt risk it. Mine were only good with small animals because they had sat with my rats on them for years and gerbils and mice :) I gave the rabbit away though to a home with no other animals as he was attacking my yorkie who was old and blind.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
i have 3 bunnies and dogs and everyone gets on :)

Bebe (the biggest bunny) is bigger then a dog we look after now and again so she gets treated like a dog by the dogs lol they lay with her, groom her, a little dog we look after plays with her but if she has enough she usually let them no about it by jumping at them and they soon leave her alone :eek:

the other 2 are nethies and are small but they get treated like puppies by our dogs. groomed etc and copper likes to have them sat in her bed so she can lay with them :lol: The rabbits warn the dogs if theres a cat in the garden by thumping... all the animals live in doors and they all get on great :D x

·
Registered
666 Posts
i got 2 chocolate labradors, and 3 rabbits, one of the dogs will chase 2 of the rabbits, but never chases the other rabbit :/ but she chases them and when they stop, she just stands likere like ooo, wot do i do now! however I never eveerr leave them unsupervised

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a staffy/lab/whippet mix and he's fine with the bunnies. I do shut him in when they're out because I worry that it will be too much for him when they start running and flipping around but there have been a few 'incidents' where he's been let out and the bunnies have gone bounding up to him and he's fine.

The other day I forgot to shut my door when I had a rabbit on my bed and the next thing I knew my dog was lying on the bed and my frenchie had gone and flopped out next to him!

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
My rabbit used to sleep in the garden with our great dane they were best friends!

now ive moved to a farm when theirs a collie that wouldnt touch a duck or chicken but seems very interested in my rabbits. i think it all depends on up brining. and some dogs like terriers will always be very interested in anything small that moves.

I guess the best thing would be to trial a few dogs from a resuce.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My dog loves all 4 of my bunnies and they all love her too, she should be rounding them up in reality, as she's a border collie :D

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Sabre is pretty good with them, he tends to move away from them when they walk up to him, and they just look at him lol. This is the GSD that was scared of my rat!

I have a picture of Sabre and Chalky, will find it and put it on :)

I think it depends so much on breed and upbringing, terriers will proberly chase, as will alot of ex-racing greyhounds, and collies "should" round them up, lol.

There ya go:

*Heidi*

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aww bless them all

I am looking at either getting a border collie cross or a boxer cross so hopefully it will be ok.

thanks for the adivce so far :)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Aww bless them all

I am looking at either getting a border collie cross or a boxer cross so hopefully it will be ok.

thanks for the adivce so far :)
Boxers are very playful, you would have to watch it didnt get over the top with them if they did meet! Dependant on the X, it might calm it down a bit :p

Collies in general need alot of stimulation otherwise you get the "hearding" sorts of behaviours, which could stress the buns, but agian a X usually calms that instinct :p

We had a CollieXDalmation and he was nuts!
I work at a kennels(and have studied behaviour :p) so I have seen the reactions of the different breeds, lol.

*Heidi*

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a lab x and a giant contenintial rabbit they both live in doors and get on really well, have a look at some pictures in my album of them both.

We use to have a cat but our dog gets on better with the rabbit. If other dogs come round our house our dog will block in the middle and protect our rabbit, he really loves him. :thumbup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have a collie x lab and shes great with my bunnies :) if theyre in the room with us she will just sit with me and not bother them, she gets a bit jelous actually and starts smothering me with kisses and wont let me go! there was one time when she put her ball down in front of 1 of my bunnies as if she wanted him to throw it which was funny :D but other than that she doesnt really take notice of them other than staying as close to me as possible incase they somehow steal me away from her :p silly dog

also NEVER leave a dog and bunnies together unsupervised....... and also i wouldnt let them in the same room when u first get the dog, just let the dog near the hutch etc so they can get a whiff and a look at each other....... at first my bunnies were very unsure but now theyre not bothered whatsoever..... ull be able to tell when theyre ok with the dog being around :)
good luck with finding ur new family member!

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
My two Staffordshire Bull Terriers have grown up with free range buns and guinea pigs (not to mention various other rodents and parrots).

Alfie is extremely gentle with them, and helped me hand rear a rejected kit.

The worst problem ive had with Oscar is him trying to hump them :rolleyes:

This is Oz with Norbert..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.