Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs and Kittens

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bella's Amanda, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Bella's Amanda

Bella's Amanda PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am new to the forum but I'd really like to know if any one has any advice for me. I have a year old German Shepherd bitch (Bella) and have recently brought home two kittens. I've kept them apart with slow introductions and keep a really close eye on them all. Bella wouldn't leave the kittens in the house on their own for the first week and lies by their crate when they are shut in. However, when the kittens start to play Bella becomes over excited and I am afraid she will hurt them. Does she see them as her babies to protect ? and would she hurt them by getting over excited? Does anyone have a similar experiece?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wouldnt allow her to lie outside the crate, this could be very scary and stressfull for the kittens.

When they are all in the room together, keep your dog on her lead. When she is calm and quiet, reward her behaviour. If she becomes over excited, remove her from the room for a few minutes, then allow her back in when she is calm.

It can take awhile, and even a friendly and excited dog can cause a lot of damage to a tiny kitten, she only has to tread on one, or nip it. Just make sure you supervise them at all times, and that the kittens are able to get away.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, teach your dog that when the kittens get exited, she should lie down and get a treat.
    I succesfully trained a 12stone rotti to do this, he was very food oriented and it did take while but he did get the hang of it! One day a friend was round I hadn't seen since we had the rotti and she was paranoid about him squishing them, the cats went near him, and he just hit the deck and army crawled to me for a treat :D

My Dixie had never met cats until she was nearly a year, and she was very interested in the kittens when we got them but again I taught her to be calm and within a few days they were sharing a bed! :D

Good luck

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice