Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs and Bitches

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ThomBassmonkey, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ThomBassmonkey

ThomBassmonkey PetForums Member

What are the things to keep in mind when deciding on a gender of dog?

The breed's a Labradoodle, we've found a breeder we like and the parents are lovely so we just need to decide on our preferred gender before picking a pup.

Whatever we pick, we'll have it neutered/spayed so any info about that would be useful too.

Thanks in advance. ;)

2. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

I have had both sexes. When picking a pup I don't think about what sex I want but go more on which pup picks me or which I form a bond with.

My last two dogs have been bitches. With girls you have to consider whether to spay or go through seasons, with a boy you have to consider whether to neuter or have a male who may be off whenever a bitch is in season.

Loyalty and love are the same whatever the sex. So basically it is up to you. :D

Sorry didn't read the bit about spaying durr! I had Millie spayed after her first season. All went well fortunately. :)

#2 Guinevere13, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we went for a boy for our first dog mainly because with young children and no real garden we didnt feel a female and seasons was right for us. i dont think we couldve coped with it

Much to my daughters hate she wants girl dogs lol

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I have 2 boys and one girl, sorry not much help

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

having had both bitches and dogs in the past, the only difference i notice is in the walking, with a male you have to stopped at every blade of grass, lampost etc to mark, :rolleyes:where as females just wee when need to and not just for marking sake.

6. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

as long as the animal is healthy I dont really care :)
    but after having one of each for a while now I think I prefer girls , My girl , Gypsy , is sharper, faster and easier to train than our boy ,Toffee ever was/is :D

At the end of the day its personal preference :)

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I would have either, preference really doesn't make much difference to me.

BUT on the spaying/neutering aspect side of things, girls are more expensive and if you want to let them mature before you get them done their seasons can be horrendous.

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I'd always have males, but it is really personal preference. I feel much closer and bond better to male dogs than females, and I've had both.

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I think it's just down to personal choice.
    With Dixie my older dog there was her and her brother left, and she chose me.

With Dave, I wanted a male. Don't ask me why I just decided I would like a male and Dave was the one that stood out from the rest.

Dixie is alot easier to walk in the sense she will just pee when she has to. Dave was really bad at marking every single lamp post etc, he was neutered a week ago and is much better! :)

x

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Good point - spaying is considerably more expensive and a more complicated operation than castration.

It really is down to personal choice, although I find dogs more affectionate, bitches tend to be more independant.

11. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

How true it is, who knows, however we read females tend to be more affectionate, loyal and easier to train than a male dog. We didn't really care on either sex, so we picked a female as this book seemed to sway towards it.

However that was one books opinion!

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

skye is my first bitch. we just decided it would be a change after having two dogs. my aunt who has had both dogs and bitches said she found bitches to be more loyal and affectionate. but dunno if that was just her experience.
    not particularly looking forward to her season, but im sure it wont be too bad. hehe.

13. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

Personally, I prefer bitches, perhaps because I'm more used to them. Their seasons are only a few weeks a year, while dogs can be affected by bitches' seasons all year. I also like that bitches are... well, bitchy :wink5: Aggression towards dogs of the same sex is more common in males, and it's important to me to have a dog that get along with others. And I think that the peeing is a real nuissance with males.

Now one might think that I have a bitch, but actually I have a male (neutered). But I've only had bitches before him and I almost said no when I was offered to buy him last year, partly because he's male. I don't regret gettting him, but my next dog is probably going to be female. But as someone else said, it's just down to personal choice.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I wish this were true of all females!:D With my girl, every lamp post, tussock of grass has to sniffed and marked.

I would always go for females. Easier to train, more loyal and affectionate, sweeter. Generally smaller and prettier. Less likely to hump your leg. Don't want seasons? Spay then. Less wayward - maybe male dogs are quite like their human counterparts!

#14 Burrowzig, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  15. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ive had both. several of both, but always prefered a male, no real reason but always liked the look of the males when showing them, never had a problem with either sex either.

16. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I always had bitches because when i worked in kennels the dogs were the ones who messed the kennels and then decorated the walls bitches never did that.Then i rescued 3 male collie pups and managed to rehome 2 and was left with Ollie who is my soul dog he knows my moods better than the bitches and if i'm down will always do something silly to make me laugh usually a silly grin and try and share his bones with me. My other males seem more tuned into me the bitches are great but tend to do their own thing. Some bitches when they come in season become grumpy and get pmt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice