UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the rant, but today i got told i should get rid of both my dogs because i have kids, i was always brought up around animals and i want my kids to do the same.
i have added some pics on this thread just to make my point stick

you really think i should get rid of my dogs now ?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Nothing wrong with having kids and dogs, if the dogs are of good temperament they are supervised and managed properly and both are taught to respect each other it can work very well.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Personaly I think babies and dogs are a terrible mix, so dangerous:) It's a regular thing to see my 22 month old grandaughter snuggled up with our german shepherds and she kisses them every time they pass. 2 month old grandson on the floor having tummy time, surrounded by the dogs, all lying down next to him. The wosrt they do is sneak a lick when they think no ones watching. It goes without saying, never leave them unattended. Teach the kids to respect the dogs. I wouldn't dream of telling someone they had to get rid for that reason. Every kid should have a dog :)

Attachments

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I have no worries about having a baby while we have Spen. I've seen him around babies, small children and older children and he loves them. He loves adults too but he lights up when kids come to make a fuss of him.

Every kid should have a dog
Spen says every dog should have a kid ;)

G

·
I have no worries about having a baby while we have Spen. I've seen him around babies, small children and older children and he loves them. He loves adults too but he lights up when kids come to make a fuss of him.

Spen says every dog should have a kid ;)
My furballs would heartily agree.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for all the comments i have always had animals in my life and wanted my girls to grow up exactly the same. i would never leave them unsupervised at all, although hattie sleeps in my eldests bedroom till she is fast asleep and then wanders back downstairs or just curls up in my bed lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personaly I think babies and dogs are a terrible mix, so dangerous:) It's a regular thing to see my 22 month old grandaughter snuggled up with our german shepherds and she kisses them every time they pass. 2 month old grandson on the floor having tummy time, surrounded by the dogs, all lying down next to him. The wosrt they do is sneak a lick when they think no ones watching. It goes without saying, never leave them unattended. Teach the kids to respect the dogs. I wouldn't dream of telling someone they had to get rid for that reason. Every kid should have a dog :)
well i suppose licking saves having to bath them lol, all about saving water lol

·
We are all Ukraine
23,817 Posts
I think dogs and babies coexisted for thousands of years since A Man GOt A DOG (or the other way round)...

Cheeky has been with me throuough all pregnancies and babyhood of my brood...every tot got s warning snap at some point ....but none got hurt ever...Cheeky was an angel in fur.... (you see him in my sig..and a foot of my son...)
many dogs just see ba bies as tiny puppies and all they want is to lick and cuddle up...then whenbabies start dropping bisquits the great bond is forged...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think dogs and babies coexisted for thousands of years since A Man GOt A DOG (or the other way round)...

Cheeky has been with me throuough all pregnancies and babyhood of my brood...every tot got s warning snap at some point ....but none got hurt ever...Cheeky was an angel in fur.... (you see him in my sig..and a foot of my son...)
many dogs just see ba bies as tiny puppies and all they want is to lick and cuddle up...then whenbabies start dropping bisquits the great bond is forged...
oh yeah hattie loves my eldest now cause she just eats anything the baby drops. i love my dogs and i feel so safe knowing i have them in the house with me

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I told my family I was expecting, they replied "what are you going to do with the dogs". Idiots!

My son is one of the most protected (in a good way - the dogs don't outwardly protect him, but I'm in no doubt that they would if they had to) children around. He was out with 5 GSDs running round him (he's only just 2) and was having a blast with him.

He's great to use as a stooge child for dogs who aren't sure of kids too as he's so calm, and respectful towards them, and doesn't run or scream around them. He's funny as if a dog jumps up at him, he just says in his barely literate words "dog off, dog off" to the dog, and just stands there until they're off :D He'll also take the bagged up dog poo to the "poo bim" for me :D

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
What lovely pictures. I love number 3 :D

Jesterjenn my kids were like that, especially my daughter. We had a rescue BC and all the training classes, my daughter came with me too. The plan was for her to sit quietly on the chair, but she had no intention of just observing. She took part in all the training.. The bond between her and that dog was amazing.. There was this little,( and I mean tiny), 4 year old walking along with a big BC and he was obeying her hand signals... I was so proud of her...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I told my family I was expecting, they replied "what are you going to do with the dogs". Idiots!

My son is one of the most protected (in a good way - the dogs don't outwardly protect him, but I'm in no doubt that they would if they had to) children around. He was out with 5 GSDs running round him (he's only just 2) and was having a blast with him.

He's great to use as a stooge child for dogs who aren't sure of kids too as he's so calm, and respectful towards them, and doesn't run or scream around them. He's funny as if a dog jumps up at him, he just says in his barely literate words "dog off, dog off" to the dog, and just stands there until they're off :D He'll also take the bagged up dog poo to the "poo bim" for me :D
very much sounds like my 2 and a half yr old she is brilliant with the dogs, we are having to teach her to be gentle with the puppy cause he is a lot smaller but she is getting there and hattie protects her aswell, sleeps outside her bedroom door mostly and never lets her out her sight

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
We also had a man come to the house for initial training. The BC was a very big unruly and hyper sexual 11 month old so I had to get him sorted quickly, as at first she was very nervous of him. The trainer showed her some techniques to give her confidence. So it was just a natural step to take her to the follow up classes. DD had more sense areound dogs at four than a lot of adults I have come across since.

She still has an amazing affinity with dogs..:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.