Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs almost bit a bloke in our garden...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NicoleW, Apr 27, 2011.

1. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Oridinary morning... Until...

I was in the kitchen washing up, again... And I saw this bloke run into the front of my house (the kitchen window sees out the front) and a police man follow shortly. I was like WTF, remembered both dogs were outside so I quickly went to let them in but the moment I opened my door, this bloke climbed over my gate and as he ran through my garden both of my dogs were barking manickly chasing him and caught the back of his feet (each dog had their own foot) and they have blood on their mouths.

They have NEVER EVER shown any signs of aggression (okay Logan I've only had for a month but I've had Duke practically all his life), but I do think if the bloke hadn't managed to climb over the fence so quickly they would've bitten him until he left.

2. ukmutz

ukmutz PetForums Member

Good on them, doubt he'll come running through your place again ;)

3. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Suppose he'll be easier to catch now, as long as they follow the trails of blood coming from his feet! :eek:

4. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I doubt he'll b complaining lol, it's his own stupid fault an he won't be doing that again :D

5. But the sad thing is they DO complain! the law is an arse sometimes!

Sure everything will be fine!! seems them dogs of yours knows the gooduns from the baduns! :D:D

6. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Good dogs:D

7. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

Get a dogs running free sign put up :)

What did the police say?

8. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

They just told me not to worry about it, one of them even said it serves him right.

Would one of those signs help if he was to put in a complaint?

9. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

No I read somewhere, if you put something up like "Beware of the Dog" then you are indicating you know they might be a hazard which may be a legal liability encouraging a claim. So basically, do exactly what the policeman said.

10. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I think you will be alright, however, beware as there are proposed changes being lobbied for Under the 1991 Dangerous Dogs Act

Thousands of postmen, council workers and others are attacked by dogs on private property every year, with no right to compensation or legal redress.

Now the Government is being lobbied by 20 animal charities and unions, which are demanding tougher laws on dangerous dogs. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) will give its response within weeks, following a public consultation process which began under Labour earlier this year.

If Defra agrees with the proposed changes, dog owners could face prosecution and be forced to pay thousands of pounds in compensation to anyone who is bitten while visiting them.

11. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sorry meant to say that the kennel club are backing these changes.

12. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Think this is what you were referring to:

'If you put up Beware signs in the UK this states that you are aware that your dog may bite someone which can lead to you being prosecuted.

If you put up signs saying dogs live here or close the gate behind you then that gives a billy a warning but doesn't give you the issues behind having a beware sign up'.

13. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

That is going to impress the red tops, when would be burglars try to claim :)

Best wait and see, what law changes actually occur, rather than anticipate all consequences in a speculative way.

14. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

That is my understanding too...

15. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

If it says "Beware" you can be prosecuted because you are saying that your dog is something to be ware of!
    If you put dogs running free, dog lives here, shut the gate dogs loose. Anything that isnt beware is fine from what I can make out because you are advising them of the fact there is a dog there, despite the temperment of it!

I say good on the dogs and the police I'm sure will be quite pleased about it, even if they cant say so!

Ah, just spotted 912142's post!

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice