Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dogs - A Healthy Future _ KC Film on Youtube

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Snoringbear, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

About time the KC did something like this. At the end of the day though it will be taken as a commercial to try to blunt the impact of Pedigree Dogs Exposed 2 which is due out soon (I believe).

I think at 18 minutes you have.. "but it's (the KC) facing a challenge persuading some breeders and the more reluctant judges to put health first". This to me was one of the major admissions which should have been made several years ago and would have solved a lot of the problems the KC image has had over the years.

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

it's nice to see just how much the kennel club has actually done - and seeing the improvements in the 'high risk' breeds already coming into effect

overall they seemed to give a fairly balanced view of "Yes, we have a lot of work to do but we have made huge steps and we are getting there"

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I thought it was a very good film. The bulldog breeder was excellent in my view. The new type of bulldog looks much healthier and fitter, than the old type, and this should be the type of bulldog to go forward. I was also impressed with the new look of the Neo Mastiffs too, much fewer folds, and generally looked healthier and better. :)

5. Obzocky

Obzocky PetForums Member

On an unrelated note: I love how all offices/labs look the same (and spookily do do most of the workers...), whatever the organisation focuses on.

On topic: I do love the emphasis on working together, not just pointing out issues and shouting about them but working towards improving the situation. I also like how honest and realistic it appears to be about the situation.

Hopefully a few people will watch and listen, rather than watch and scoff as they tend to do whenever the "evil" world of show dogs produces something.

6. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

When a politician screws up it is normally someone else's fault, they employ spin-doctors to rewrite recent history, manage appearances and to squirm their way out of a situation.

Seldom seen the politician that stands up and admits that they did wrong and are sorry for the error but they will strive to earn forgiveness for the deed and move on to rebuild their image.

This infomercial for the KC was lacking in a simple "We are sorry for the error of our ways in the past." There was IMHO an undertone (not very) of placing the blame in the past and still today on the judges.

Do the dog show judges have a voice?

I as do many have great empathy and the ability to forgive someone that admits to the error of their ways, I didn't hear the KC say sorry. Just that they have new standard guidelines and it's the judges fault for awarding status to inbred/faulty dogs.

Did anyone else notice that this was almost pure Middle-Class Caucasian production?

7. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Some very nice looking dogs in the video; the difference in the Neos in such a short space of time is astonishing! Lovely Shepherd at 4:05 too :)
    Wonder how marked the differences will be in the priority breeds at Crufts this year.

Looking forward to what Jemima Harrison will have to say about it! :rolleyes:

#7 Thorne, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  8. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

9. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Will be interesting to see what has made her "hyperventilate"......

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

"in which Clare Balding in honeyed tones tells us that the Kennel Club registers all dogs.... eh?" - is there any need for the *honeyed* bit? Or is that just trying to alter the perception of those reading to view Clare Balding as skeptically as Jemima obviously does? The KC does register all dogs, as long as people bother to apply to have them put on their registry. If not registered as a KC pedigree, they are free to join the activity register.

Edited to add, the quote is from Jemima's blog about the programme.

#10 Sleeping_Lion, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  11. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Really good video.

I agree with a comment on the vid - it should be shown on tv where everyone can see it.

12. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

I love it, its honest about there being issues within breeds and its informative about what's being done and what's in the pipe-line. Not sensationalist slurry like JH's program. Wish this was on tv where everyone can see not all pedigree dogs are unhealthy.

13. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

No, we get an advert instead. Passing the buck onto certain judges etc rather than the people who let the whole thing get to the stage where the KC were pulled up sharply by people such as JH. If this wasn't the case this advert could/would have been made in 2008/2009.

Full credit for the many initiatives listed. Bulldog breeder Norman Davies, for me, was the star. I get the impression he's a person who may have resisted the idea that bulldogs may have been unhealthy initially but then realized his error and is rightly proud of the changes which have come about. It's obvious he loves the breed.

14. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Agreed. Especially as he doesn't show his healthier dogs as 'they wouldn't win'. Nice to see a breeder choosing health over ribbons.

Shame the KC had to go outside of showing to find someone breeding healthier bulldogs though, hopefully the showing crowd took note. :yesnod:

15. Mrs White

Mrs White PetForums Member

Whether it be politics, health and fitness or doggies, I like to read as many sides of the story as possible. With that in mind, I had a wee gander at this today...

- Terrierman's Daily Dose -

16. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

If someone's tone is all she can find to hyperventilate about then it's about time she got a life instead of trying to vilify the ONE organisation in this country that is actually doing something about the health of ALL dogs, not just pedigrees.

This film is honest and down to earth, and shows the real picture about what is happening in the dog world. It will be very interesting to contrast it with the lies and spin that I am certain will be in PDE2 - if PDE2 isn't stopped from being aired, that is. I wish this could have been on prime time TV but, as the KC explains, it's hard to get an honest, factual program on TV these days. All the media is interested in is the "shock horror" type of documentaries that bump up the viewing figures irrespective of whether they tell the truth or not.

17. Spellweaver

Really? A program such as this could have been made at any time. You obviously missed the part where the video explained that the KC launched its first canine health scheme in association with the BVA in 1965 - and the part about their funding research with the AHT which allowed them to discover the canine genome in 2004. All well before JH could even hear the ker-ching of money to be made from gutter press journalism. Do you really think that such a difference in the appearance of bulldogs and neopolitan mastiffs could have been made in the two years since PDE? (I suspect JH will try to take credit for this and more in PDE2, but I did expect the sensible people on here to realise that such marked alterations take time to take effect) The KC has been doing this sort of thing for years. The only difference that JH has made is that the KC now has to expend time and money to let people know what it is doing instead of quietly getting on and doing it in the background.

#17 Spellweaver, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  18. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Well why wasn't it? Simply put this advert was created to try to lessen any impact for PDE2. Why has it taken 4 years to be able to produce a response?

Didn't miss and they are to be congratulated BUT they have little power when it comes to the breed clubs and this is truly where the progress has been made.

It's actually 4 years but it does take time. The key factor isn't the fact things are in progress, it's needing to shame the breed clubs not to accept dogs where cosmetic appearance is at the detriment of health. This is the impact PDE had and continues to have.

We'll have to agree to disagree. PDE pushed the pace of change and the need to accept things couldn't remain as it was. Not from the KC side but from the breed club side.

19. Spellweaver

We certainly will have to agree to disagree - I know neither of us will ever convince the other cos we've gone through this many times. I will never, ever, accept that JH has done any good whatsoever for dogs - quite the contrary. Her program is responsible for pushing more people into the willing clutches of puppy farmers than any other single factor ever. But hey, all's fair in love and war and jounalism so let's not worry about all those poor puppy farmed dogs and all those poor breeding bitches.

I would genuinely llike to know which one of these contradictory statements you really believe though:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice