Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy Tummy Problems

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mumbles, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

Our little 6 month old cocker spaniel puppy toodles, was ill a little while back, he went off his food and had diarrhoea and vomiting, we took him to the vet who gave him an injection, antibiotics and put him on sensitive food.

He is now much better eating the sensitive food fine, but we are trying to wean him off it onto a normal food, however each one we have tried so far (salters, purina beta and james welbeloved) he seems to be fine during the weekend but continues to have diarrhoea at the weekends.

Has anyone had this problem before, does anyone have any suggestions for a good food for a sensitive stomach.

We spoke to the vet and they suggested an hypo allergenic and said it was trial and error with foods.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If he is fine during the week but has the runs at the weekend then I'd be inclined to think about what happens differently at the weekends, rather than blame the food. If it was the food he wouldn't be fine all week, but have diarrhoea at weekends.

Does he receive any extra treats at the weekends? Do you have friends or family visiting? Does he go swimming? Or are you simply just around more or go to exciting places for walks? Excitement and stress can cause runny tums too, which would be a more likely explanation, as like I say, if it was the food causing it, he'd have a poorly tum all the time, not just at the weekends!

Either way, chopping and changing brands isn’t good. Choose one, introduce it very slowly if he has a funny tum and then, if it suits, stick with it- if not, slowly wean him onto something else to try. Some good hypoallergenic foods would be James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, Wainwrights, Orijen, Fish4Dogs, Skinners duck/salmon and Simpsons.

I've never heard of Salters and Beta isn't a good food at all. If your vet prescribed his current food I presume it's either Hills or Royal Canin?

#2 SixStar, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  3. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

That does make sense and yes we take him for walks in different places at the weekend and he gets to go to my parents and play with their dogs so maybe it is an excitement thing, is it not bad for him to have diarhoea though even if it is just at the weekends? We are looking to get him neutered but obviously don't want to do it if he is not quite well. Though his weight and energy is definitely fine

He is on james welbeloved at the moment and seems to enjoy it so am inclined to leave him on that, as a few people have told me thats a good food.

The beta he was on from the breeder but he never had good poo when on that.

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If it's just excitement diarrhoea, rather than poorly tummy diarrhoea, then I wouldn't worry to be honest. I'm sure I've seen Spaniel owners on here mention that spaniel breeds are particularly prone to excitement poos!

Yes, James Wellbeloved is a good food. I have 3 of my dogs on it and they do very well.

5. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

Appreciate your comments makes me feel a little happier for him as don't want him to be ill.

Bless poor little cocker he gets excitement wees as well we are hoping he grows out of this, though luckily we have laminate flooring so they are easy to clear up.

:001_smile:

6. rona

rona Guest

Do your parents give him treats that he doesn't have during the week?

7. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

No he currently hasn't had anything other than the sensitive food for treats since he had his antibiotics and now we are trying to wean him onto a normal food.

Though we did initially worry about him as a puppy as he was picking up stones in his mouth and we were worried he was eating them but since he had the injection and antibiotics he started eating again fine and wasn't throwing up anymore its just this diarrhoea at the weekend thats seems to be a problem

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice