Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy spirits

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by woodwitch, Jun 18, 2010.

1. woodwitch

woodwitch PetForums Member

I've had a glass of wine and am feeling a little sentimental, so I wanted to share a story with you about 2 dogs I had when I was younger.

We got Sheba from a rescue centre when I was about 7 or 8. She was a lab x terrier type. She was a bag of bones when we got her and very nervous, obviously mistreated and starving, but within months she had blossomed into a fine, healthy active dog.

A year or so later, my mum found out about someone giving away a litter of pups, black labs crossed with border collies, and after much persuading we went to choose one and ended up with Lucy. She was the sweetest, gentlest dog I have ever known.

Sheba was very much top dog, but they loved each other dearly, and when Sheba passed away at the age of 13 Lucy was obviously hearbroken. She just wasn't the same dog after that.

The thing I want to tell you about though is a weird experience I had not long after Sheba died.

Both dogs used to have their own "chill out" place behind the sofa, they each had their own end. When they weren't chilling out, they both used to sleep on the sofa, but again they each had their own end and would lie there like a couple of bookends with their heads on the sofa arms.

After Sheba died me and Lucy were having a quiet couple of minutes in the living room, Lucy on her end of the sofa and me in an armchair. All of a sudden I noticed Lucy had woken up and was staring fixedly at the cushion on the other end of the sofa. I spoke to her but she didn't respond and continued staring. I watched for a while, then Lucy seemed to frown (she had a very expressive face!) and her eyes moved onto the floor, then around to the end of the sofa. She got up and walked round and looked behind the sofa, sniffing, then kind of jumped back in surprise and looked at me with a shocked expression. After that, she wouldn't settle at all, and kept sniffing the sofa cushion she'd been staring at, following a trail to behind the sofa, then looking at me as if to say "What the...?"

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to this day I firmly believe Lucy saw Sheba lying on the other end of the sofa, who then got up, went behind the sofa.... and vanished.

The rest of the family have other stories attached to these dogs after they passed too, including waking up in the night to push the weight of the dog off the bed, before realising we didn't have dogs any more.

Does anyone else have a doggy spirit story?

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats a lovely story:)
    A few years ago I used to dogsit for my best mates GSD x Lab while he was at work. I was very close to him as we didn't have a dog of our own then. He died in 2007 at the age of 12. On numerous occasions I have distinctly heard the click of claws across my sun room, when he was alive that was how he announced his arrival (he never used the front door, just wandered in round the back & settled himself on 'his' sofa) & I always got up to check & there was noone there. Another time I caught a glimpse of a black shape under the kitchen table (another one of his favourite spots) & several times the older 2 cats have been spooked for no apparent reason, just like they used to be when he was around. My mate has also felt his presence in his caravan. To this day I believe he still pops in now & then & divulges bad habits to our dogs, sometimes their mannerisms are eerily similar to his.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice