Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy Smell..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nhamblin84, Aug 20, 2009.

1. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

Hello All,

I was just wondering what people use to get rid of their doggy smells in their house? I have tried searching dog smell but couldnt find anything.

I see there are loads of things on the internet that you can buy but who knows if they work....and cant really afford to waste money on something that wont work..:(

So yes if anyone has any tips etc that would be fab x

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We just have a few air freshners that release every now and then dotted around

3. nhamblin84

yes we have them - it doesnt seem to be working as everyone seems to now say our house smells doggy hehe! i think im immune to it though :)

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Fabreeze do a spray for pet owners.

I just bathe mine regularily, dont let them on the furniture and wash their bedding frequently. If you have carpets, investing in a steam cleaner may be a good idea.

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I have a air purifier. Can't remember the company that makes it but I bought it in Woolworths when they were closing down and it's fabulous!!! Just add a couple of drops of essence and water and it gives a nice clean smell. I think they are usually around £40 but well worth it because I've had mine a year now and I've not even used 1 bottle of essence and I have it on all the time I'm at home.

6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I've got a useless sense of smell (cigarettes and oranges, that's all I can smell) so I'm a bit paranoid of the house smelling TOO doggy.

Monty is bathed regularly and I do his bedding every other week. When he comes in from the garden I wipe him down or just wipe his feet depending on the weather. His towels get washed once a week in the summer, more often in the winter.

I also open all the windows (upstairs and downstairs) EVERY DAY, all day in this weather and for the morning during the winter, sweep through downstairs every day, swish over the hall and kitchen everyday with diluted Dettol. I should buy shares in Dettol :D

I don't buy air fresheners, they just mask smells.

ETA:- When I wash Monty's stuff, I put some white vinegar in the compartment where the fabric softener usually goes to kill smells.

#6 westie~ma, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I hate using chemicals around the dogs so may look into the air purifier :)
    I tend to burn essentials oils instead or incense although my house ends up smelling like glastonbury :blushing:

8. rachel57

rachel57 PetForums Junior

Lenor fabric softner !!(spesh the blue one) . i dont bother with paying out for any of the sprays and stuff like that .I just dilute some lenor in a spray bottle its upto you how much you use depending on the strength . i spray all over the house curtains, beds, floors, sofa and even the radiators in winter ,i always did this before in the kitchen to get rid of cooking smells and it worked then so i will be doing this in winter too. It works for me but then im a clean freak so u can imagine what im like lol. i hope this helps but one more tip ... if you like the smell of the body shop products go there . i once bought a bottle of coconut oil? i dont know what it was actually ment to be used for but well i bought some and put it on some of my wooden flowers in the living room .It is sooo strong i can still smell it now and it was only a little drop it realy fills the house even tho i put it in one room . They do different fragrances but they do smell nice . hope this helps

9. nhamblin84

Thank you so much everyone :)

We have tiles in the kitchen but the odd accident leaves nasty smells :p

I wash their bedding every week usually (every two weeks if the weather is awfull)

I heard that it was bad to bath them too much as they were still puppies so we have mainly been using those wipes you get from pets at home. We bath them about once a month too!

I hoover every other day and spray the house with febreeze and oust!

Lenor is such a good idea!! thats great! i am definitely going to try that one!
    I am also going to look on line for an air purifier as that sounds like a great idea! :D

10. fings

fings PetForums Newbie

If you have any doggie stains on the floor I use Nature's Miracle, I swear by the stuff. It cleans up accidents, throw-up, any stains without leaving a smell behind. It's also all natural so it doesn't leave any residue behind. I always have a huge bottle in my house...just in case.

I buy it at Pet Smart, or you can buy it online.:)

11. Spaniel mad

I can only find this available in the us

12. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

We have Fabreeze plug-ins, they last ages (in our house anyway it seems), and we always put the Blue lenor in when we wash the dog beds, and I rarely notice a doggy smell.

I also have one of those 'doggy deodarent' spray things I spray on the dogs every time I brush them.

13. Spaniel mad

I use crazy dog shampoo and it smells like baby powder and they do a little spray aswell which is yum lol

14. kelseye

kelseye Banned

i use oust ,and one a week bath the the dogs and clean is bed....:)

15. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

My vacuum cleaner has these filters that you have to wash, after I've washed them I rinse them in Comfort fabric conditioner tropical burst, once they've dried and put back in the cleaner the smell that comes out of the cleaner is lovely. I'm afraid not a lover of lenor as it's made by P&G, I do love the smell of it though. I've also got a Bissell carpet washer but can't be a**** getting it out.

Terri

16. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I bath my pooch once a week as well as his bedding and any toys he owns, though he generally only gives off that doggy smell when he's been outside in the rain LOL.

17. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I thought you weren't meant to bathe a dog too often as it doesn't do their coat any good. I only bath mine once or twice a year.

18. rachel57

rachel57 PetForums Junior

Hey my hoover is like that ...good thinking brains !:thumbup: Ive got a vax carpet cleaner and its absolute pants ! i will be trying that little tip tho .:)

19. louisehall21

louisehall21 PetForums Junior

hi i use rosewood oil add two drops to 4parts water ina spray bottle and then spay everything and leave to dry also if you have fabric light shades use it on them and then when the lights are on it heats up and gives of a nice smell also it is harmless to dogs so you can put it on a cloth and rub it on there coat and keeps the smell down.

20. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

i also use the lenor in a spray bottle it cheaper than febreeze but its just as good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice