Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy mouthwash

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ruffers, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Ruffers

Ruffers PetForums Senior

Hi everyone,

Rufflea is still eating cat poo :( we do try to get there before him but sometimes we just don't win! :rolleyes:

I was wondering if there was something we could give him to sweeten his breath and maybe remove a few germs - any ideas?

Thank you.

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Hexarinse is a canine mouthwash of sorts - VetUK do it, I haven't ever had need to use it on my dogs, but it's meant to be effective.

3. Ruffers

Ruffers PetForums Senior

Thanks sixstar, I will go and have a look now!:)

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

The main thing you want to do is stop him from eating the cat poo in the first place. Eating poo is most often dietary related and means something in the diet is lacking. Poo of all sorts contain live bacteria, amino acids and enzymes, all of which are an essential part of a dogs diet. However many commercial fed dogs don't get these bacteria's, enzymes etc. and the only way a dog can get them is by eating poo.

Of course poo eating is a puppy thing which many dogs grow out of in time but if they don't it's a good idea to look at what's in the diet, or rather what's not in it. It's a known fact that raw fed dogs hardly ever eat poo and if they do the diet needs adjusting. Liver, kidney and heart should be added as they contain many vitamins, amino acids and enzymes other foods may lack and if the dog isn't raw fed flash frying for around 30 seconds each side on a high heat should tempt the dog. Even some hardened raw fed dogs won't eat raw liver, they don't like the consistency - mine have been raised on raw but won't eat liver unless it's flash fried.

Hopefully your pup will grow out of this habit and in the meantime a nice raw meaty bone will clean the teeth and freshen the breath - naturally! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice