Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy holidays!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jodim, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jodim

jodim PetForums Newbie

We are thinking of taking our Rudy on holiday somewhere in the UK this year. Never taken a dog on holiday before so just wondered if anyone has any suggestions of a good place to go on holiday with her?

Obviously looking for accommodation that is dog friendly, somewhere that has some good walks but also that has restaraunts/pubs that welcome dogs too. Dont really mind where in the UK either.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

3. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I stayed at Henmarsh house in the Cotswolds. There were walks just outside the cottage, an aboretum in the village, dog friendly pubs and you could take your dog round the wildlife park.

When I said that my dog slept on my bed she let me and when I had to leave him in the crate for a while she popped in to check on him.

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I can recommend the village of Ballater in Scotland... amazing walks, nature parks etc in the area, loads of pet friendly accomodation and most of the pubs and several shops are also dog friendly

Home Page

is a truly gorgeous place

some pics of Glen Muick - a huge reserve/walking park nearby

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 IndysMamma, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  6. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

we go on the norfolk broads every year on a boat,all the boatyards offer dog friendly boats,theres loads of pobs and walks along the river,very relaxing holiday

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Hoeseasons is really good..we have stopped at sherwood forest quite a few times...well quite a lot actually:D:D and always took Mave with us

:eek: :eek: :eek: just don't go with friends... :eek: we had a nightmare :lol:
    but yes it would have probably been very relaxing if it had just been us:rolleyes:

i got in trouble with the river police:nono:

8. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

i go with my mum and dad and we always get in trouble with the river police,normally for doing 6mph in a 5mph zone!!!!
    very strict those river police!:)

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Will check that out we are heading that way later in year :)

10. Amber Dawn

Amber Dawn PetForums Member

We often go boating on the broads and are considering taking Dug for the first time this year, although I can just see him doing a kamikaze leap into the water as we're moving :D

11. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Im originally from Norfolk ( I think I hide my Norfolkish twang well ;)) I would definately recommend the North Norfolk Coastal areas

Also there are so many companies doing cottages where you can take dogs - We are off to Snowdonia in the summer with ours.

Also alot of Hotels have rooms where you can take your dogs to. For the royal wedding weekend we ar eheading up to Derbyshire with the dogs for some hiking :) It's worth ringin around some. They normally charge a cleaning surplus but its normally pretty reasonable.

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

We have booked a cottage for a 4 night break over Easter via Cottages4you; you can search for dog friendly rentals (and by lots of other criteria too).

13. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I recommend North uist in the outer hebrides. My uncle is a chef in one of the bigger hotels and it's extremely dog friendly, they're not allowed in the restaurant but they are in the pub which is cosier and a nicer atmosphere. The estate is massive with a lovely sea loch and theres loads of beautiful beaches for dog walking. Plus if the hotels won't allow dogs in the rooms theres tons of holiday homes that do :D or you could visit my hometown of Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis, Lewis itself is massive and theres plenty of dog friendly campsites, holiday homes and B&B's, loads of dog friendly tourist locations and literally HUNDREDS of places to take dogs for an amazing walk :001_unsure: the castle grounds in Stornoway is where my family used to do a sunday walk with the dog every week without fail i know the grounds very well and cannot think of one place any dog wouldn't enjoy :eek:

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have been to both places a few times on holidays (without a dog) but definitely plan on returning in the future with Kilo....beautiful :)

15. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Last year I went to Inverness (well near Beauly really) with my Dad and Sonny. I have been to the area a few times in the past but that was the first time with Sonny and there were loads of walks. I am going to the lake district (near Ullswater) this year - I have not been there before but there seems to be plenty of dog frindly places, pubs and walks as well as attractions. Have used both Hoseasons and Cottage 4 U in the past as well. Welcome cottages is another one to check. I stay in a small chalet park rather than a cottage though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice