Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy help please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Linz85, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Linz85

Linz85 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,
    I have three Jack russells, two bitches and one dog. They are all young - 18mths, 9 mths and 6 mths and they are all very well trained!! I have never had any sign of aggression between them and when playtime gets a bit rough all it takes is for me to say stop and they do. They are best of friends and are inseperable but I do have one concern. My partner has just bought me a male chihuahua, as i have always wanted one. I am now concerned about fights between the males over the females. The boys havent shown any aggression to each other and my partner asked the breeder about our situation and she said as long as they know your in charge then it will be fine. She had four females and two males and the only problem she had ever had is a bit of growling between them.
    I do not want to get attached to the chi if it isnt going to work and I have to give him back but does anyone know if there is anyway I can make sure there is going to be no aggression over the females. WOuld it be best to castrate one of the males or both of them or both the females? ANy help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

There is plenty of dogowner's with mixed genders of 2 and 2 or more out there. Im not familiar with this though, but surely you will get an constructive answer soon. :cornut: I think the breeder is very right though, the dogs is pack animals and if they doesnt have an responsible and "strong" leadership they might try to sort it male against male or even females. (females might even be more tricky in some cases).

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

If you are going to own a pack of dogs, then you should neuter all of them.

You may find that you don't have a problem, buy myself, I would not chance it.

x

4. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I had 2 entire male Deerhounds, a desexed male Pug and three desexed Pug bitches who all lived happily together. No fights, not even at bone time. Bit of a squash on the bed at night though.:D

However Deerhounds and Pugs are both fairly laid back, sociable breeds. Not sure how terriers would react in the same situation. If your girls are entire I wouldn't like to risk it.

5. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

id consider having at least one of the males done,i have mixed in my house,some done some not but i have to say its the girls who could cause the worst problem,the fights between females are really nasty,dogs tend to be more noise n slobber
    or even invest in crates,my little ones are crate trained,they love their little dens,when i go out or to work at night i know they are safe away from my big clod hoppin dogs:D

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I would have the bitches both speyed but they should not be done until after their first season so unless you can keep them seperate whilst the bitches have their season I would also have the males castrated as soon as possible. If you are planning on showing the chihauha you will have to keep him entire but if he is a pet then to castrate both males would be the only way to prevent any future problems.

7. nickora

nickora PetForums Newbie

my mother has 2 jack russells which are so energetic and adorable - and the one in charge... the darn cat! lol - it even chooses where it wants to sleep and kicks the dogs out their beds if it wants thiers!

8. Linz85

Linz85 PetForums Newbie

Both my females have had thier first season and there was no trouble at all not even a growl! I know i dont have to worry about them because they know I am boss and just a slight raise of my voice and they know they are in trouble. I am thinking of having the younger famle fixed and the chi.
    The boys had a nip last night but the chi soon ran away and the JRT knew he had done wrong because he looked at me after and ran under the bed. Half an hour later they were cuddled up together and chased each other on thier walk. Signs look good so far but still worried. Does anyone think having one female and one male fixed would help?
    Thanks

9. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

I had a neutered Cairn bitch and an entire patterdale , recently I took on a lurcher who was dumped, he is also entire at present. So far touch wood I have had no fights but they do know as was said that I am no 1 in the pecking order. It does help that the lurcher is not at all aggressive and if they growl at him he just walks off. I would see how things go but obvoiusly you are terrier aware and as long as they dont get into confrontational mode over food or toys they could well be ok. I dont leave the three in the house together for long and take one with me to work. G:)ood luck with yours

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice