Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy help and advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Helli2020, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Helli2020

Helli2020 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, we have been thinking about buying a dog for some time now but we live an apartment. It's a large apartment (1100 square feet) and backs onto a forest. We are looking at moving in the next 6 months to a house as we have two children (13 & 5) my question is, if we bought A dog this side of Xmas, would a move within 6 months be detrimental to the dog or would they know no different?

The kids would love a dog and have been read the riot act on responsibilities etc... And I have had dogs also.......but I want to make sure it's right from day one.

Also would it be an idea to buy two dogs from the same litter?

Any help or advice on this would be great thanks.

Please help

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

Welcome first of all!

It really depends on the dog. Some dogs would be fine with a move after 6 months, others would probably get quite distressed. It's up to you to make that decision, I know my personal dogs would have been fine with it.

As for your second question, its never a good idea to get two dogs from the same litter. Several reasons, but the main one being they will have a strong bond with each other, which will continue, meaning they don't often bond with their owners strongly, and it also makes them harder to train because they are more interested in each other than learning from you. Then there's the other end of the line, when you have two elderly dogs and risk losing two much loved family members at the same time, which many people would find very hard, much harder than losing one. Generally most people have 18 months - 2 years between dogs.

Have you thought about what breeds you are interested in? Have you considered a rescue/shelter dog?

3. Helli2020

many thanks for coming back to me.

We are looking at a black lab, preferably gun dog pedigree.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If you live in an apartment especially with stairs and havent got a private garden and you are thinking of getting a pup, would make it a lot harder to begin and continue house training as you cant put them down where other dogs have defeacated or urinated prior to full vaccs for risk of infections that can be deadly to pups, so that may be one practical problem.

Buying two pups from the same litter isnt generally advised, a lot of good breeders wont even consider selling two pups.
    Problems can be, that they need two lots of toilet training, two lots of general training individually, as two pups and especially litter mates if constantly together, can be really hard to train as they become so involved with each other getting attention and focus and bonding with the owners can be harder. So for that reason its not generally reccomended, although has been done but twice as hard and twice the work.

Another reason, is that if you get two pups, especially the same sexes things can change later when they reach adolescence, they may get on as pups, but come the starts of sexual maturity or seasons, they can start to squabble, challenge each other and seriously fight, so things can change down the line as to how they will get on, so another reason.

Obviously if you get a male and female they are also going to sexually mature together so if unsplayed and neutered then they can and do mate if not separated and kept apart, it has happened.

So alround and as its a relatively short time before you move really maybe better to consider once you have moved and have a garden and are settled so the pup/dog hasnt got the upheaval too. Depending on the pups/dogs/age in question too, upheaval can affect some more then others.

5. Helli2020

Thanks sled dog hotel. Well we have a lift in the apartments so no problem with stairs, also we have a big balcony so can provide some private space for the dog to go to the toilet outside of the apartment where no dog has ever been before.

Ideally we would like the dog before Xmas get it settled and start training at 3 month etc.. And regularly attend dogging training until we move.

We where looking at the doggy cage/thingy for it to sleep in, in its own room etc.....but I guess my only concern is the move. If it won't effect the dog then I don't think I have a problem.

Keen to ask advice etc....and here other people opinions

6. Helli2020

Any other advice from anyone?

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome

Amber was 12 months old when we move from a tower block to a bungalow, I know she was older but the move did't give her any problems but I'm was always at home so she was rarely left on her own. The only thing it's harder to house train in a flat than having a garden to put them out in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice