Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy Disagreement

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Mar 11, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Well my O/H and myself have had a disagreement over a dog tonight.

Some friends of ours have recently split and are looking to rehome a male entire Dobermann.Hubby was seriously considering it,but I said No,my reasons were,We already have a male entire stafford,an in season bitch,who isn't that tolerant of other dogs,Two entire males going crazy after an in season bitch and possibly fighting is not my idea of fun.

So he told me to consider getting Tyler castrated,he was told No way,he's a show dog,so needs to be entire,I wouldn't even consider getting him done so we could take on another dog with no papers,etc...but he said I really like the dog and breed and Stop I said NO WAY.....Even if he was gold plated NO.

I know I'm been slightly selfish here,but I just can't see it working and it's totally unfair on the Dobermann and my two dogs.
    So I've told him if you really want a Dobermann research the breed,with a view to buying in a well bred pup from a recommended Breeder.

So far so good,I think I'm getting through,why are men so difficult ;)

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Cos they are MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

no other reason neccessary lol

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

why would you get a dog with no papers and castrate a show dog with all its papers
    men such pains some times

5. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

You will know more about dogs than I do. I had two entire males only a month between them. I raised them both from 8 weeks. At around six to eight months old they started to fight. I couldn't leave them together. I took advice from the vet as I heard that castration would stop the fighting. The vet told me it wasn't guaranteed and if it didn't work I would have ruined two dogs. He suggest that both dogs separated would make perfect pets.

We planned the first dog, the second was from another friends litter basically it was the runt of the litter. My first husband said if we didn't take him he would be put to sleep.

It was hardwork as our son was only 18 month old but I persevered. On reflection I just wished I had never heard of the plight of the puppy.

Stick to your guns.

Sue

6. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

So glad u have stuck to ur guns, think u made th right decision. :D

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I have managed to get him to agree that it's not a good idea and not workable,it's totally unfair to all dogs concerned.

I feel sorry for the dog but we are just not in the position to take another dog at the moment,(maybe if he had been a puppy it would have been slightly different)plus it would mess up our breeding plans.

8. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

I totally agree. You have definately got to think of the dogs you have got already.

9. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Friends of a friend of mine have recently taken on a Chihuahua male puppy, they already have four other male dogs all intact.....A Bullmastiff, Dogue De Bordeaux, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and a Springer Spaniel....The Staffy, Dogue or Bullmastiff are not yet fully mature all under 18 months old..I can see only one way this will go and it will not be good for any of the dogs concerned :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice