Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy dementia/possible tumour - is it time?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Clairebear76, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Clairebear76

Clairebear76 PetForums Junior

Hi all
    Hope everyone’s well?
    My boy Louis has either dementia or a brain tumour. He’s been doing quite well up until a month ago when his appetite decreased and he’s lost quite a bit of weight. Then this last week or so I’ve noticed him pacing and standing in a corner more than he had been. Before it was only occasionally.
    However this last two nights he’s been terrible with the pacing and getting stuck. He was pacing and got stuck down the side of my bed several times on Monday during the night. Last night when I finished work at 2am he seemed to be more settled and had had something to eat. When we settled down for the night that’s when he got restless again. Wanted to go out constantly but all he was doing was circling the garden. When I wouldn’t let him out, but thought he could wander indoors, he managed to get himself behind the tv.
    I’ve spoken to the vets and I’ve got an appt for tomorrow for him to be pts. He’s been very tired today (not surprising as we were awake until turned 5am) and hasn’t touched any food at all.
    I think I know deep down that it’s the right thing to do but I’ve got a niggling voice at the back of my brain that keeps saying “what if”, “what if it’s just a blip”.
    I’ve been a mess all day and I guess I’m just after people’s experience of dementia or tumours to give me some reassurance that I’m doing the right thing. Since his diagnosis he’s been up and down, I can’t help clinging onto the hope that this is just a bad spell x

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How old is your dog. There is a drug that can help with doggy dementia and it does sound like the right symptoms. At the same time if he is old and has had a good life and he is losing weight and not eating well then your decision might well be the right one. See what the vet suggests if you want to try him on treatment for a time and see if there is any improvement.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Clairebear76

Clairebear76 PetForums Junior

He’s 11 and a half. He was tried on a drug called Vitofyllin quite early on but it didn’t seem to help much. He’s been on and off it a few times over the last 6 months. It sometimes seems to help for the first few days then he goes back to how he was.

4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

There are quite a few different doggy dementia drugs, might be worth trying another type to see if it helps? Worth a chat with the vet anyway. He does sound very confused and distressed poor guy.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think your decision is the right one in that case. It is not fair to keep a dog in this condition though I know some people do hang on longer. A brave and kind decision.

Gemmaa likes this.
  6. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I think it's a fair and kind decision, although I am sorry it's one you have to make.

I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing to PTS when they have a progressive illness...especially when they're 10 years and older.

Blitz and Torin. like this.
  7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My previous dog had dementia. As he wasnt 'suffering' i think i prolonged his life by a a good 6 months or so when i shouldnt have done. The drugs and supplements to treat CCD arent very good tbh, especially in the later stages.

For a long time it felt like living with a dog that wasnt mine - there was no interaction, no recognition; he just went through the paces of being a dog, but with no personality.

Personally, i think you are doing the right thing. Once the essence of who they are as an individual goes, you wont ever get it back again and you are simply left with a shell.

Twiggy, Blitz and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice