Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy daycare

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Elizabeth1557, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Elizabeth1557

Elizabeth1557 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some advice on doggy daycare. I work permanently from home but had to go into the office one day last week, my puppy is 3 and a half months old. I had no one else to look after him so researched doggy daycare, found one local to me that had good reviews. Spoke to the owner beforehand and everything seemed fine. I wanted to go and visit beforehand but because of COVID restrictions wasn’t able to. I took him there last week but when I picked him up he was so so exhausted he wasn’t even excited to see me. They said he didn’t settle all day and barked A LOT (he very rarely does this at home). I asked them if he followed any sort of schedule and they said no, he was just playing with the other dogs all day. Obviously very overstimulated and a new environment and wouldn’t chill out unless he was forced. The days after he was a complete nightmare at home, chewing everything (never normally does this very much at all) wouldn’t settle in his crate when normally takes himself in there, had toilet accidents (again never normally does this). I am a bit sceptical about taking him anywhere like that again, I don’t know how they integrated him with the other dogs as he hasn’t really met any other dogs before that. They just handed him back to me and that was it. I had to message them afterwards to ask questions and she just said he was naughty and barked a lot which I was very shocked at, of course he would be naughty if he’s been awake for 11 hours non stop!

Not sure if I’m just being a bit paranoid but I’ve worked so hard trying to get him into a routine and training him etc and I feel like taking him there might just regress everything I’ve done as they just seem the complete opposite. They have a lot of dogs themselves so thought they would know a lot about puppies etc and their needs.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I dont think you're paranoid at all. That sounds like a terrible place!! There are a few members on here that have experience of doggy daycare. I cant remember who now but im sure they will be along on your thread today so keep checking in.

Look for a good sitter if you need help again. With lockdown restrictions about to ease, choice will open up hopefully.

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yeah this is the problem with some daycares - they just chuck all the dogs in and let them go for it.

You would be better to find a reputable dog walker to come in a couple of times during the day to play with your puppy or go for a little wander outside.

Sairy, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It did not sound like much easing to me. It is only schools and being allowed to sit outside in a park with friends. It is going to be months before people can come in your house though maybe dog sitting is an essential business and can happen anyway.

I agree it would be better to use a dog walker if they are allowed to come in and play with the puppy and go for a short walk a couple of times in the day to break it up.

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

ALL over by june. The OP works at home so i take it this is a very rare one off and she just wanted reassurance that this doggy daycare is awful.

June isnt long to wait if you very rarely need anyone to take care of your dogs?

Assuming OP is England. I bet we are ages longer in Scotland

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Deleted.

ETA sorry OP, that was completely off topic and I don’t want to derail your thread. Please ignore.

#6 McKenzie, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  7. Elizabeth1557

Elizabeth1557 PetForums Newbie

Yep this was just a one off, I don’t expect it will happen again for a long time! It’s just for when some days I’d like a few hours to myself or when the restrictions ease and I don’t want to leave him on his own if I go out for the day anywhere and can’t bring him with me. But I am very glad you have said the same as my gut feeling - My husband said it would be fine when he gets used to it but I just don’t want to put him through that again. Husband was going to take him the day after and we went to drop him off he didn’t even want to walk in there so I picked him up and brought him home - never again!

yes I am in England too- June isn’t far!! Woohoo

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Boris spoke yesterday and named a date (21st june?) for all restriction off. As in all shops, hospitality open. Schools back normal life resumes.

But i cant remember if he mentioned foreign travel.

I am in Scotland. We have always been more cautious here. We get our announcement today. I dont think any dates will be announced for us.

I thought NZ was doing great with such low cases? Arent you living pretty unrestricted?

Uk vaccine roll out is really fast. All adults should be done by april i think.

Oh - no international travel. I have the radio on!

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Your husband is wrong! For sure. Your puppy will get more and more stressed and could start to agress. You cant just throw a puppy in with lots of others to get them used to it.

10. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Look for a dog walker who could perhaps help you out on days you need it. Make sure your dog walker doesn’t let walks be a free for all either (if you don’t mind your pup going in groups - though I only take dogs on group walks around a year old. When they’re younger I do individual visits/walks). They should make sure there’s downtime as well as playing (if they have playful dogs!).

you might be able to find a better daycare if you wanted. There are ones that won’t let it be a free for all but you’d have to vet them and ask lots of questions and make sure pups get enforced downtime as they’re not good at self regulating! Day care can be a lot for a dog and many find it a bit overwhelming and over stimulating. A dog walker is better for a lot of dogs as they spend their time at home and just get a break and a walk

O2.0 and tabelmabel like this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes we are but we are isolating every person who comes into the country. I don’t imagine that our borders will be able to open properly until our population is vaccinated.

OP I’ve used a few daycares which ranged from amazing to terrible. I use my dogs’ reactions as useful data. One place my dog refused to enter after the first visit - that told me all I needed to know! I now use a home-based daycare (if you can call it that) which will only take a maximum of 3 dogs (plus the owner’s one dog).

tabelmabel likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sounds like a bad set up and I’m not surprised he was exhausted and his behaviour was off for a few days.

It will have been a high octane and stressful day for him.

Leave an honest review maybe so prospective clients have an idea of the set up, especially if Covid means they can’t check it out in person.

With a few quiet days at home you should have him back to normal.

Maybe keep him on a harness and long line on walks for a few days when you get back out there just to avoid him thinking all dogs are playmates.

I don’t like the Doggy Daycare concept with lots of dogs tbh. Even with separate areas the noise would still make it a stressful environment imo.

A sitter or walker for would be better.

tabelmabel likes this.
  13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would never , ever use a place like this. There is one near me & despite the good reviews I know that it is horrendous with dogs just getting free reign all day, over stimulated, some dogs bullying others, some dogs just running round all day .... it is not how dogs should be allowed to behave & creates all sorts of issues. If you need to use a service then maybe a dog walker or kennels, I know some are offering day places & can even then have structured & controlled play with some of the dogs that they assess are suitable together.

Do your research & ask questions, if people are not happy to answer your queries then walk away

O2.0, tabelmabel and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Trust your instincts and listen to your dog - their body languages speaks volumes.

You did the right thing taking him away.

tabelmabel likes this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

In your dreams, a lot of ifs to the June date. By then the puppy will be a lot older as well and be able to be left longer. It is a baby puppy at the moment. I have very little confidence in those dates, far too many ifs and maybes. My daughter's wedding is out the window anyway and it seems ages away. Even though we are not in lockdown here I am still fed up!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice