Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy clothes . . good or bad?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by caelsgirl, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah I've put clothes on them occasionally for like a minute but my dogs would scratch them off if I put them on for longer they hate them as much as I do and they always get a nice long walk afterwards to make up for it.

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I certainly wouldn't take my two out wearing clothes :yesnod: Only yesterday I put sunglasses on Sky :D

3. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I hate to see dogs dressed in silly clothes. It is undignified and totally unacceptable that dogs should be seen as a fashion accessory.

I do however believe that there are occasions where dog clothing is acceptable, such as with small dogs and short-haired varieties, and during the cold weather.

Luika has a rain coat since GSD's are known to suffer from arthritis, especially in cold damp weather and I have tried a bandanna on occasions which we used, as an indication that he was in training mode.

I do not class back packs as dressing up, since they are not fashion accessory's.

Classyellie likes this.
  4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I dressed mine up in a t-shirt and she wasn't bothered by at it all. She got really comfy in it actually. I don't see her as a fashion accessory nor is she 'undignified' :confused:

The rain coat is a good idea though, thanks for that! :)

5. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Good post. Rep for that :)

I do have a raincoat for Harvey for going out in heavy rain for two reasons - he really doesn't like going out in the rain and his coat gets soaked through and takes ages to dry. I did buy Pippa a pink badana when I first got her but I only put in on her twice and once was for a photo :eek:

6. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Ah, can I have an exception to the rule after my earlier rant? :blushing: .... I do like bandanas, especially on scruffy cross breeds. Gives that Huckleberry Finn not a care in the world look! (wouldn't entertain them though if they didn't come off really easily, would worry about getting snagged) I'd definately consider the glow in the dark ones that JSR uses on her gang

7. Savahl

Savahl Guest

ooh i have a hi-vis one from equafleece for winter. Its absolutely brilliant when walkin in low light :idea:

#27 Savahl, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  8. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

for myself I wouldnt use clothes on dogs , but thats cos I own two border collies who'se reason for living is to get as wet and mucky as is possible for a dog to get ... clothes wouldnt last two seconds :D

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

depends on their use. I love the look of Hurrta coats for dogs but i dont need one for him at the moment :)

10. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

We have never used coats on the gundogs, but dad is looking into buying them as on shoots, it can be very cold and wet, so he wants to keep them dry and warm with like a small waterproof one that can be taken off. You see many with them on the shoots.

Bess had a coat once, due to severe shivering on walks. Even though she has thick coarse hair i think the bitter cold still got to her, so i gave her a waterproof fleece coat and she was snuggly and warm.

I do not agree with cutsie cutsie pet clothes. A dog is a dog treat it like one.

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Do you mean for afterwards when they have finished? A gundog would be hampered by wearing a coat while working and it could cause problems too.

Black Gundog - Dog Tired (cocker)

I have these for mine and they are very good. I put them on them at the end of the day if they are wet and cold and they draw the water away from the coat and dry them in no time.

12. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

It's wrong, I tell you. Wrong.

[​IMG]

sequeena likes this.
  13. davehyde

davehyde Banned

ffs i just spat coffee over the screen:D:D

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hahaha OMG!!! Looking good! :cool:

15. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I have a raincoat for Arnie as he's not keen on the wet stuff from the sky and it takes an age to dry him. However, when he sees his mac in my hand he does a runner and wont come back until I've put it away again so have decided its not worth the hassle :rolleyes:

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

By dressing up I mean in silly boots, and pink fluffy dresses and the other God awful things on sale in doggie boutiques.

I feel that as dog owners we have a responsibility to our dogs and they were not made to be laughing stocks. Just my opinion though and as I previously stated, we have tried using a bandanna as part of Luika's training. It's rarely worn now, and quite unnecessary. Must have been one of my many moments of madness :D

17. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar has a couple of fun t-shirts but only for photos. He didn't mind the first couple of times but last time I did it, he tried to take it off himself, so I've not put one on him since.

18. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I know what your dad means and thats a practical reason, a wax jacket would look good for a shooting dog, my friends lab has one. Not a flat cap and green wellies though.:D:D

19. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I do like those i would'nt mind getting my 2 those, they look practical and plain not like youv dressed your dog up.:rolleyes:

20. Clothes with a purpose such as a coat to keep a hairless or fine coated breed warm i see no problem. Billy doesnt have a coat but he does have a towelling thing that i put on after wet walks (he gets a towel dry first) - saves my furniture and he doesnt shiver. I also know a lady who has 2 show standard poodles. They wear a sort of boiler suit on walks to keep their coat clean - not my cup of tea - if a dog cant be a dog :huh: but i do see the point.

I will say one thing in favour of dressing a dog up. The local rescue holds a fun day fete once a year. There are dog shows cat shows etc, but they also do a doggy fancy dress (fancy dress for humans and or dogs) show. The dogs arent dressed up for long, they are disqualified if they dont look to be enjoying themselves and all in all its a good fun afternoon which raises money for the rescue. Now that i dont have a problem with. I just done like seeing people who dress their dogs up all the time :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice