Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggy Anxiety

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SarahSull24, May 22, 2019.

1. SarahSull24

SarahSull24 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I really need help with my almost 5 year old Shitzu X Chihuaha. Halo is a lovely dog but seems to really suffer with seperation anxiety to the point where she seems to be needing to be touching me constantly. We have just had our first child, and I can't say that was to blame as she was like it before. Halo sits on top of me wherever I am. If I go upstairs to put the baby down for a nap she scratches at the door, barks and cries. I feel so sad for her but as much as I love her I need my space too. She goes on two walks a day. We have a garden and if I put her out there she just sits and cries at the door. I have tried plug ins, tablets, sprays, drops... You name it. Halo also bites herself on her back. We have had numerous tests done at the vets and nothing has come of it. I'm really stuck, how can I help her?

niamh123 and ewelsh like this.
  2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hello

I can only think of a few ideas, but can you clarify a few things. She does sound a little distressed.

When you leave her to go outside, do you say anything? Also when you return do you make a fuss of her?
    When she sits on you, do you fuss her or put her down?

3. SarahSull24

Hello :)

I use positive tones to say go for a wee and open the door, she happily runs outside but once she realises I'm not coming with her she runs back. I've been in the habit of closing the glass door behind me, it being cold or trying to keep a cat in. She just sits and stares through the glass When she does go off and have a wee, 7/10 times I give her a treat on her return or at least say good girl.

When she sits cuddled close I either let her be or pet her, but this seems to get her over excited and she starts jumping and licking my face. I would just love to be able to scratch her ear and her just lie down and enjoy it. I do tell her to get off the sofa, sternly saying off and then praising her for doing it.

Thank you for taking the time to talk with me ☺️

ewelsh likes this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I think this is going to take some time as she is obviously highly emotional and craving attention.

Just try keeping the tempo down and excitement levels down, calm strokes no words. No fuss going outside especially coming inside. If you think about it, your giving a treat when she comes back inside, to her that means being with you is GOOD, coming inside is GOOD

Just focus on a few changes for a while, outside for a wee wee and stay outside with her if possible, walk around but not with her, when YOU are ready call her inside calmly and don’t look at her or fuss no treats just allow her inside but behind you. You need to be the one in control to put her at ease.

I am not a trainer so I might have this all wrong, I just have a lot of dogs all with different temperaments. I have just learnt to read them and noticed the excitable triggers for each breed. My terriers can get super excited when we are off for a walk in the mornings whereas my Lab and Spaniel are calm, before I know it they are all excited, so I just walk away from the door, when they are calm out we go!

Come back in a week after trying the above and let me know how she is. PM me if you want, I don’t mind at all.:)

5. SarahSull24

I never thought of it like that! We would treat her so she was house trained but we just continued the habit. That is such a good idea, and definitely something I will begin to do. Thank you so much for your advice, I will come back to you and let you know what happens next :)

ewelsh likes this.
  6. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Yes time flys by and the little monkeys want treats for everything. I think we humans become trained too.
    Change a treat to a calm stroke now and then, she knows to wee wee outside.

When you say let’s go outside in an excited or happy voice, to her that means you are both are going outside, it’s fun being together, then you disappear back inside! That’s why she is waiting for you.

In the summer it might be nice ( lock cat away obviously) leaving the door open and see what she does! Don’t praise either in or out but she needs to feel comfortable and secure in her own space, being without you is ok.

Does you girl like balls? Maybe a godoggo ball game outside will occupy her occasionally. If she is food driven buy a treat matt to occupy her when you want to put the baby down, or stuff a kong with healthy stuff, freeze it and give it when you need to go up stairs, it’s about rewarding her when she is alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice