Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

doggy accidents

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by challybabay, May 27, 2010.

1. challybabay

challybabay PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

my 10 year old collie cross has recently been having accidents at night in her crate she shares with her brother.

we took her to the vets about 2 months ago due to a bout of diarrhoea that lasted ages,
    she seems fine now but every so often she poos in the night in the crate and they both get covered !!!

im trying to book another app at the vets now, but they are booked up.
    do you think its down to old age, she seems to be the one we always have to take to the vets.

they both eat dr johns dry food , one bowl in morning and one at 9pm

thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

It might be a case of her age if it's only intermittent.
    May be trying to feed her early evening around 5pm and taking her for a little stroll to empty her bowels before bedtime.

3. challybabay

Thankyou,
    thats what i thought.
    As i said she goes from solid to runny back to solid again, and i noticed from last nights episode that some out the mess was undigested dog food.

4. rona

rona Guest

That doesn't sound good.
    What kind of food is she getting and does she have treats?

5. challybabay

She has dried dr johns food twice a day, she used to get treats but we had to stop them when this started. the vets gave us a syringe type medicine and rice and chicken tins to give her as they said it was colitis sp ??

but i cant see how she can be fine most of the time then this happens, i feel sorry for her brother too as he sleeps nest to her and also gets covered when she has a accident

6. rona

rona Guest

How long has she been on this food?
    It seems to be chicken based, so I would have thought that buying some white fish and cooking some rice is a better choice when her tum is upset.
    She may not have cleared the initial problem, but it has been kept under control for short periods by the paste.
    Was it Pro Kolin paste? If so you can buy that online without prescription.
    You may have to change food if it continues

7. challybabay

yes that was the paste we got from the vets, i will cook some rice for her tonite with some fish i think,
    thankyou for your help

8. rona

rona Guest

Any time :)
    I think you should keep her on the fish and rice for at least a week to let her tum settle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice