Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggie traveling to France..Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Wendreth, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Wendreth

Wendreth PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have my fab little Westie who is only 5 months old at the moment; i know she can't come this year with us to France.:( Next year we will be taking her to the south of France,:) I have booked her in for her mirco-chipping and then will get the process running for her passport.

I would like to know what to do on her first outing to France, and if anybody can recomend a good English speaking vet to go to before she comes back to England. What would this check involve? Do i have to have this done at a vet near the port? or one at our local village.

Once i have the passport how often does she have to have a booster?:confused:

Thanks Wendreth.

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Cant be any help sorry. sure there will be someone around that can very soon, we have travelled to south of france many many times, we are going next year but have never taken the dogs, the walks, heat, wouldnt suit ours.I do know there was someone on here talking about this not long ago it all sounded very complicated to me:) but lots do it. Hope you get the help you need.;)

3. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I can't help with a vet as we had all our treatments done in Germany when we came back to the UK. The tick and tapeworm must be done no less that 24 and no more than 48 hours before coming back to the UK. If you contact DEFRA they might be able to put you in touch with a vet that can do the treatment.

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Do you know where abouts in France? My friends parents have a house out there, could get them to ask the locals if its anywhere near?

5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Not sure about all the formalities - ask your vet and contact Defra I would say.

As for an English-speaking vet...well a lot of professionals in France do speak enough English words to be understood and hopefully you should speak enough French words to make up for the rest....so any vet, probably better in a reasonably big city, will do the trick...

As for a good vet - ask the locals, they will know!

xx

6. Wendreth

Thank you all for the advice. I will speak to the vet.

We are going next year, so i have a while to make sure it's all sorted and that i have done my homework.

We are going to La Londe, Les Maures. Near St-Tropez.

Thank you all again.

7. jsuk66

jsuk66 PetForums Junior

8. Wendreth

Just checked out the site. That is just what i was after :) Thank you. Will be very helpful.

Thank you. Wendreth. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice