Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doggie incontinence - at 5 years old

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sensationalsadie, Aug 25, 2013.

1. sensationalsadie

sensationalsadie PetForums Newbie

Sadie is my much loved poodle/border collie mix (and prob other things). She is 5 years old and has had the occasional "accident" but usualy only after vigorous exercise. She has now developed full blown incontinence. Vet has done lots of tests, but nothing major has shown up. She has been on anti biotics for 5 weeks and hormones for two but neither has done any good. She is also on Hills u/d special food because she had some crystals in her urine - which now seem to be disappearing. She is drinking a lot, and wets herself when asleep or relaxed and doesn't know she is doing it - when she realises she tries to clean herself. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

2. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

was she spayed at a young age before 1st season? low oestrogen levels cause a weak bladder.
    I know your vet as you stated as tried the hormone route as he tried propalin?

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I take it she has been spayed?

One of mine is spay incontinent and would 'leak' when she asleep if she wasn't on medication. Unfortunately when they develop spay incontinence they will need to be on medication for life. Mine is on Propalin which is a syrup you add to their food twice a day and is symptom free on this.

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Have the crystals totally gone now / what is her urination frequency and is she having any problems going?

Just wondering if they could be the cause - Maisie currently has a UTI (poor lamb:() and is on AB & anti-inflamatories

However, she did have some leakage a couple of days ago, which the vet said would be a symptom of this - either caused by the UTI itself or with her repeatedly straining to go and then the muscles relaxing when she eventually managed to go to sleep

5. sensationalsadie

She was spayed after her first season. My vet said that propalin could, rarely cause side affects of aggression and heart failure. Has anyone had any experience of this. I'd rather deal with incontinence than take the risk of anything happening to her?

6. sensationalsadie

The crystals are nearly gone - and she has had tests for bladder stones - luckily she doesn't have them. Her urination is random. Most nights will see a puddle (i've put picnic blankets over evrything! which can vary in size. Sometimes she doesn't wet herself overnight at all. Certainly running around vigorously seems to start it off - however, she is a very energetic andclever dog....so its not easy to keep her quiet!

7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I would have thought that any side affects along those lines would be very very rare? to be honest, that seems like a strange thing for a vet to mention. Any medication you (or your animal) use could potentially have side effects but thankfully, they are normally rare.

Mine is on Propalin and is fine. It is much, much kinder to medicate the dog as it can be distressing to them than to worry about the minute risk of side effects.

8. sensationalsadie

thank you for the info - I will talk to vet when we see her next week?

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Spayed bitches can get urinary spinchter incompetence where they often will leak when resting or asleep is usually the classic signs. Sometimes it can be due to hormonal dependence that the spinchter becomes lax sometimes for other reasons..

What would concern me more, too be honest is that she is drinking a lot. If she is drinking a lot more then she used to and urinating a lot more that would be my main concern.

If they have crystals and stones in the urine then that can make them more prone to infections too. Main cause is usually bacterial. Antibiotics will only work if there is bacterial infection. They will only also work if they are the right kind of antibiotics for the type of bacterial infection present. Did she do a urine culture and check to see if there is bacterial infection present and if so what kind of bacteria. If they didn't then it might not be the right kind of antibiotics.

What other tests has he done? Has she had a full hemotology and biochemistry and urinalysis.

10. sensationalsadie

so far, no sign of "radio dense" stones and the crystals have all but disappeared. Vet thought that there could be a deep seated infection so she has been on antibiotic Nisamox 250 twice a day + an oestrogen tablet once a day - both of these have now finished. She has also had X rays and ultrasound and urine cultures taken several times + blood and other procedures. I think the vet has been pretty thorough in trying to get to the bottom of it all! She has also suggested propolyn. She is eating normally and is her usual playful energetic self.

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You could see how she goes on the propalyin shes a young dog and presuemably healthy otherwise. I have had one on propalin and it did work, in fact instead of the 3 x daily, at something like a 0.6 dose the manufacturers recommended for a dog her size, by decreasing it slowly a bit at a time, to find the lowest possible dose that was effective if I remember correctly I got it down to twice a day morning and night, with a 0.2 morning and a 0.3 at night nowhere near the manufacturers dose and it still worked completely.

There is something called hemopet leaks no more, if you want to look at that which seems to get good reviews.

Leaks No More

You can purchase it fro various online UK vet pharmacies if you google and also find out more perhaps. Ive not tried it and didn't actually hear about it until I was no longer using propalin.

12. sensationalsadie

Many thanks for this - I will investigate!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice