Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dog wont walk with hubby???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vickieb, Jan 10, 2012.

1. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

so the last few times hubs taken him out he comes back after 10 mins saying 'well he wouldnt walk, just stopped dead and wanted to come home'

same again last night..... so I tried him and he was fine..... happy to walk..... no problems...... its all very odd....... :confused:

do dogs have a preference as to who wlaks them do you think? or is that just silly...... :rolleyes:

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Millie has done this a couple of times - Hubbys nephew got home from work 10 mins before me and was walking out with Millie as I was walking in. Millie hadnt seen me all day and was happy to see her mummy - Got around corner with nephew and blonked her bum on the pavement and didnt move :eek:

This happened twice about 2 months ago. It hasnt happened since - I think it was purely the circumstances - Ie her seeing me as he was first taking her out.

They normally walk her when im not in / away and she looooves them :)

It did leave me feeling loved though :eek::p:D Also meant I walked Millie while nephew cooked dinner! :001_tongue:

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

My first GSD would do this. On one occasion he sent her home in a taxi because she refused to budge. :D
    I divorced him and kept the dog. :cool:

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo won't walk with hubby holding the lead if we are both there; he will go if they are on their own...well, the twice he had taken him for a brief toilet walk since we have owned him!

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Yep. Emma snuggles and plays with me far more than my wife but when it comes to a walk she will simply not go without my wife. Out the door and sits. Simply no budging her unless it's back in the house. It's not having a woman take her either. Had a female friend try and walk her with no luck. Managed about 20 meters before she managed to slip the collar and lead and dash back to the house door trying to get back in.

Only way I can take her walking is if my wife is out the house. Then Emma walks probably hoping she's going to meet her.

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Ferdie won't go out with anyone except me. He doesn't mind someone else holding his lead, but if he thinks I am not coming, he sits down and refuses to move. If my son comes and holds him, I have to walk in front so he can see me or he will keep looking round and waiting for me.

If it is causing problems, you could try going together with husband holding the lead, and gradually sort of fade into the background.

7. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA IS THIS TRUE?? :D:D:D

the taxi thing? if so thats freekin hilarious! :D

8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

It is true. The two events were not directly related. There were a lot more factors in the pot before I changed the locks. :D

9. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Sammy is very well behaved in that manner, he will walk with anyone good enough to walk him.

10. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

About 20 odd years ago my Nan had a long haired chihuahua who would only walk with her, even walking with my Nan and me holding the lead he wouldn't walk :nono:

Also I remember as a youngster my uncle having a lab who would walk with anyone, but if my uncle was too far away the lab would snatch her lead and would run back to him :eek: :D

11. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

in case anyone was interested I think i have got to the bottom this :)

my hubby walks the dog (or tries to) at 5.30...... now, I get home at 5.45 and we think the dog wont walk as he is wanting to stay in to see me..... as after the fuss of greeting me ect he is happy to go out......

some might think this is silly and how can the dog know Im coming home coz they dont tell the time :D

but it seems odd...... and I kind of think its cute..... he wants to wait for mummy to come home :D :eek:

so thats what I am going to put it down to heh

12. Milliepoochie

I reckon thats possible.

Millie is the same with our nephews who live with us. I get home at 5pm. If they try taking her out at 16:30 she will go over the road have a pee and turn around to come back :D:p They claim she is 'lazy' nope just wants to see her mummy :eek:

13. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

this is exactly what Ern does, has a wee then stops dead... wont walk..... heh bless him.... cheeses OH off tho..... :D

14. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

We have had George for coming on to two years now. I still cannot walk him.

If its just me on my own, he constantly cries and looks back, he stops every now and then and wont budge.

I made the mistake of letting him off elad once, he ran straight back home over a busy road! Never again.

I have tried everything to encourage him to enjoy walks with me but ive just come to the conclusion that i smell :lol:

15. Milliepoochie

I think its because we have the same 'routine' as such monday - Friday so Millie does 'Know' when we are home and she doesnt want to miss it. :) Its the only time she is allowed to jump up at us :eek:

The first few times they mentioned it I thought maybe she isnt well :eek: lol but nope she is just stuck in her ways. :rolleyes: It make the nephews laugh - They prefer sofa cuddles with Millie to walkies anyway ;)

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I don't think it's silly at all. Dogs know what time it is, even what day it is. Every weekday I can get out of the house fine, just say goodbye to the dogs, but if I try to put my coat on (same coat) on a Sunday, they start going nuts as they think they are going too.

If you smelt, he would be happy to go with you, dogs being dogs and all:D

17. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Breeze isn't keen to walk with a man holding the lead but we believe she's been kicked by someone in her past.

I see this a lot in the kennels, most dogs are fine with being walked by any staff member but some dogs just won't go for certain people.
    There's a Lab regular who only walks with female staff members, yet is owned by a man. Another regular, a Dane, is terrified of my boss and won't approach him for all the treats in China; he's a tall chap but I struggle to see how anyone would be intimidated by him! She's overjoyed to see everyone else, silly dog.

Had a Doberman in last summer who would only allow the 14yr old work experience girl to walk him :D

18. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

My bf has never walked Molly on his own, but when we walk her together, if im behind them both walking slower or stopped to do something, she won't budge until I walk next to her

19. rottie

rottie PetForums Senior

Festus walks with me or with hubby, alone or not. Any of us can hold the leash, this is only natural as both of us are in charge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice