Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog won't go the toilet in our garden

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Abby slown, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Abby slown

Abby slown PetForums Newbie

Hi
    My dog who I have had for 8 years now has suddenly starting to refuse to do her business in the garden.
    She's always lived in this house and has used the garden her whole life.
    Almost every morning she would go to the garden to have a poo but I haven't cleaned up any in the garden for around 2 months now as she just won't go (she'll sit in the garden and play no problem)
    I walked her 3 times a day but sometimes it's just easier for her to go in the garden (times like now when I'm ill and have no energy to walk her).
    Our whole garden is patio and it's not long been painted for the first time, this is the only reason I can think of why she won't pee/poo out there.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Did the behaviour change as soon as it was painted, or a little while after that? Your phrasing is a little ambiguous as to whether this was an obvious trigger or just the only possibility you can think of.

If it is the latter then I'd be tempted to get a vet check. As with any other sudden behaviour change it could be a symptom of something more hidden; best to get that ruled out by a professional before assuming it's environmental :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice