UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 month old Labrador who has been fantastic at getting in the car every day has suddenly stopped. She will not jump in on her own anymore and I have to pick her up and carry her in - she is getting too big and heavy for me to do this.
My husband did shut the car door on her tail last week and I think it must be that which has made her not want to get in the car anymore as I can't think of any other reason.

Anyone got any suggestions that we can use to entice her in. I have tried treats as she is very food focused but she completely ignores the treats even bigger treats she still will not get in.

She also runs away now when we go to put her lead on as she knows she has to get in the car.

Worried this will be a long term problem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It may be a behavioural problem because of what happened but could also be heath problem.

Could it be that he can not physically get in to the car because it causes pain? I would get a health check done to rule it out, because it may be that is it causing pain jumping in to car so therefore is not wanting to.

If its behavioural then i would start off by walking round the car and treating, then you sit in the car and he can just stand outside and praise and treat. Pop him in the car and give a kong, chew or something extra special. Keep repeating this untill more comfortable, dont drive anywhere, just make relaxed untill he feels more happy with getting in.

·
Still missing my boys
42,307 Posts
I'd get her down the vets for a full checkup. Could be back or leg injury.

Does she run around ok, still go up steps or onto the settee ok?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I totally echo what the others have said about a full vet check. And of course make sure the vet looks at your dog's tail, just in case she's in discomfort from the run in with the door.

If it turns out not to be a physical problem, then it's time to work on it from a behavioural point of view.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with the others here and suggest a full check by the vet first to rule out any possible injury.

Also, having owned a Lab, I know that they can be stubborn, so the problem may well stem from the tail being shut in the car door.

I agree that the treat method of getting your Lab comfy with being in and around the car again would be best if the health check comes back all clear. I doubt a Lab will be able to resist food for long!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Just thinking about her age, its usually the time that young dogs sometimes can develop hip dysplasia. Not trying to scare you, but its something I've seen develop in a friend's dog and she wasn't far off six months. If she was happily jumping in before, and has suddenly stopped, a vet check is my first port of call.
Of course, it could just be mild muscular injury in the tail when it got caught in the door. Vet might just give some anti inflammatories for that which will help with the pain and then you can correct the behaviour side of it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 6 month old Labrador who has been fantastic at getting in the car every day has suddenly stopped. She will not jump in on her own anymore and I have to pick her up and carry her in - she is getting too big and heavy for me to do this.
My husband did shut the car door on her tail last week and I think it must be that which has made her not want to get in the car anymore as I can't think of any other reason.

Anyone got any suggestions that we can use to entice her in. I have tried treats as she is very food focused but she completely ignores the treats even bigger treats she still will not get in.

She also runs away now when we go to put her lead on as she knows she has to get in the car.

Worried this will be a long term problem.
I really do think this is just a bad experience (ie trapping tail in car) turning into a phobia....I have a Collie cross, who is terrible in the car, but started off fine. This all developed because she was sick once.....

You have to start right back at the beginning.....in 2 stages, as she is now associating the lead with the car and the car with pain(trapped tail)

step 1, take her out on her lead without putting her in car, ie take outside give treat then return inside....repeat this daily if can.
Or you could just take her out on lead and just walk then return home and give treat, she will then associate lead with treats ( or you could uses praise instead)

step 2, put lead on then take to car, you get in car holding lead in one hand then treat in other, tempt in. sit for 2 mins or so, repeat this daily if poss without going anywhere

next stage is to close door gently, then praise/treat....hopefully after a week or two she will be ok.
But picking her up and carrying her is just avoided the situation and she will never learn to trust the (bad ) car!!

Hope this help x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all who responded, she has been at the vet and all is OK, they checked her thoroughly and said there are no problems. She runs around fine and is happy, shows no indication of pain at all.

I agree with the behaviour issue, she is also getting to be quite stubborn. I will try with the step approach and see what happens, giving her time to get over it.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.