Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

dog with tumour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by janew1965, Aug 10, 2018.

1. janew1965

janew1965 PetForums Newbie

hi my 16 year old poodle had a lump come up inside his rectum , took him to the vets this week to be told its a tumour they have offered to remove and send to lab etc but also warned me at 16 he could go on the table or could even end up with bowel incontinance, tbh not sure wether to put him through this ..... the vet said hes a lively dog and looks great for 16 so i left the vets upset as you can imagine , but we decided i couldnt put him through that and we see how things go so hes on soft food ,vet recommended tuna and pasta etc and if i find hes getting worse then its time to take him him and say goodbye as i will not see him in pain or suffer . hes been my faithful companion through lots of ups and downs and will be heartbreaking when it comes i think im doing right thing but doubt myself too wondered what other ppl think

2. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

Please don't doubt yourself, you know your baby better than anyone else and will do the right thing. Yes, you have a tough time ahead of you, but you will get there given time. Thoughts go with you x

DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I feel for you but I'd the same, I'd never put an elderly dog though surgery just spend what time I have left with him as happy as I can

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d do the same and say no to surgery and let him plod along as long as he’s happy and pain free, then make the decision to pts before he goes way downhill.

It will be awful we know, but take comfort in the fact he will be oblivious, pain free and running towards his rainbow :)

DaisyBluebell and Boxer123 like this.
  5. janew1965

thank u it means alot x

6. janew1965

thank you it means alot im not the only one who sees it like this

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

However sad it is absolutely the right choice. Your dog would thank you if he could understand.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I’d do the same in your situation, I had a similar choice with one of my old cats & I did the same as you. I hope you both have plenty of special time left together.

#8 Matrod, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

So very sorry for your situation, its so hard when they are getting on & you know your time is limited but the last thing you want is their suffering, you have already shown how much you care by coming on here & making us privy to your sad concerns. Your and your beautiful dog have shared such times together and he has been your strength through those ups and downs and now it is your turn to be the strength in the partnership & do whats best for him and not for you. Most of us on here have been through the same heart break & we would all tell you the same thing - every tear you will shed for him when the time comes will be worth all those years of love and happiness you have had together & it could be some time before that comes so love and enjoy your time together now - be like a dog & live in the moment, not what comes in the future. Thinking of you both.

10. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, most wanted.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend my last euro on Oz, but I also know there has to be a point where the money I'm giving in order to prolong his life would be for selfish reasons only.
    As he ages his quality of life will decrease and with illness, that quality of life would decrease ever more rapidly.

There's a time to love them and there's a time to let them go.

16 is a good age for any dog.
    Your time together is precious now, I wouldn't waste it on surgical intervention and procedures.

Burrowzig likes this.
  11. Sacremist

Sacremist Resident Piss Artist

I have a dog with terminal cancer (no pain evident yet according to vet), plus she has mitral valve disease. We also are just leaving her alone and letting her enjoy the time she has left and she is obviously happy. When clinical signs show she is suffering or unhappy we will let her go.

I also have an elderly cat with several terminal health issues: cardiomyopathy and kidney disease. Same with him, he’s content for now and when he isn’t, we will let him go, but we don’t allow any more invasive treatment. Not that the vet would, because they agree he’s too old now to be put through anything like that.

So I absolutely feel you have made the right decision.

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice