Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog with severe molting and dandruff!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Michelle666, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

My girl is just over a year old. She's always been a molter but its getting worse and worse. You rub your hand along her back and a big tuft of hair flys off. I'm always hoovering (thank god for wood floors and leather sofas!)

We don't bath her very often, cause she's so big. She does go in the lakes/rivers every weekend though. We try to brush her every other day.

She is also on a raw diet with some biscuits.

Is there anything she might be missing/could be added to her diet that might help? I'd rather avoid the vets as they seem to have a habit of charging me for the littlest thing!

2. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

If she had dandruff, then maybe adding some oil into her diet may be worth while? Try giving her something like sardines in oil, or giving her some fish oil every day.

I think some of the people on here give their dogs salmon oil or similar, so hopefully one of the experts will be able to tell you if this is the right thing to do.

3. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I've noticed Roo has a bit of dandruff, but it seems to only be where he still has puppy fur, not where he older coat seems to be coming through. I was advised against giving him oil whilst he is a pup, but I have got him a tin of sardines to try, in spring water.

I might give him one tonight and then just give him one in his feed every day, see if it works.

4. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Might just be the heat. Is the hair loss localised at all? If not, i would just go over her with a Furminator each day to get it all out.

5. Michelle666

Hi Snoringbear... as you might notice Sadie is also a DDB!

Is this common for Bordeaux's? She's always seemed to be a molting regardless of the time of year. It just seems a lot worse these last few days. It seems to be more across her back. Especially after she's been in water.

I will get a Furminator (not that I actually know what one is...will google it!) and try some fish oil. We used to give her tins of sardines every few days, but stopped using the ones with oil. Perhaps that's why its got worse!

6. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

They can shed a lot for a short haired dog, but they do vary. My shorter haired one hardly sheds and the longest haired ones always shed a lot more. I think the sudden change in weather may have started her off, though. I need to groom her daily at the moment so the house isn't full of hair. My intact bitches also seem prone to losing patches of hair on both flanks which is hormone related. If you're after a Furminator look on ebay, you can get them for about £7 instead of £40 in the shops.

7. Michelle666

Thanks for the advice. I will definatly look at this furminator!

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Perhaps have a look on ebay for a furminator. I think they are cheaper.

Years ago my vet suggested evening primrose oil for my old dog. Her coat and skin improved considerably.

Alternatively, you could perhaps change to a high oil feed. Heidi had a v dry puppy coat. We put her on Skinners salmon and rice adult which has a higher oil content than her puppy food and now she has a lovely coat.

good luck, hope you find something to sort it.

9. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

So does Rupert, actually! His puppy coat is really dry and his skin under it can be quite flaky in places.

I've been told to try the sardines in oil every few days, but then was told by someone else it might upset his tum.

Is skinners a dry food?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice