Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog with Separation Anxiety

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ginnyrobyn, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Ginnyrobyn

Ginnyrobyn PetForums Newbie

Hello. I have recently rescued a ~2yo crossbreed(about 2 weeks ago). We are having issues at night with chewing the door of the room she sleeps in. We are currently trying to crate train her but I am worried in the mean time she is going to hurt herself chewing the door (spraying the door with bad taste spray has helped a small amount). She chews the door for about 5 mins along with crying and then stops. She settles then until about 6am where she will begin to cry again. The last two morning she has then started to chew the door at this time also. We are struggling to keep her awake during the day and worried she is sleeping too much and then become anxious and bored at night. She is not interested in any toys at all, she won’t even entertain a kong. Does anyone have any advise? I know it may take a few weeks for her to settle in properly. I basically just want someone to tell me it will be ok as I feel like I am failing at making her happy.

2. Ginnyrobyn

Ginnyrobyn PetForums Newbie

the chewing of the door has now become more aggressive and lasting for a couple of hours when first going to bed. Last time we went out we recorded her and it took her half an hour of panting, crying and chewing the door to settle down, she then slept for an hour and a half before we returned. We don’t have the time to desensitise her to the room as we have no option but to put her in there at night due to her destroying tendencies.

3. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Im in no way a dog expert, but I would imagine as you have only had her 2 weeks she is still settling in? Can you sleep downstairs with her to settle her for a while? Or have her in the bedroom with you?

Twiggy, Boxer123, JoanneF and 3 others like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s more likely that she was and still is very anxious and overwhelmed at the changes and needs time to settle into her new home and routine.

Jack (a rescue Grey x Saluki) wanted to be near me in the early days and was able to settle well in his own bed on the floor next to mine.

I’d be inclined to have her sleep near me and also make sure the crate is being introduced very gradually as a happy place.

Once she’s settled in you can work on getting her to sleep elsewhere and be happy when left alone but it will take time.

Twiggy and O2.0 like this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Another vote to having her sleep with you in the bedroom.
    Dogs don't learn to be okay being left alone by being left alone. They learn by first having their needs for attachment met, and once they gain confidence in their attachment to you, they're happier being left.

Anochi and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

This exactly two weeks is no time to settle them in. You need to build up time alone very slowly.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice