Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog with red and sore Red paw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ZG23, Nov 16, 2018.

1. ZG23

ZG23 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. My dog who is a 3 year husky/rottweiler has a sore back paw. He licks it alot but it doesn't seem to have any pain from it. It's been like this for about a month now and is getting worse. I have been to vet before and they said to keep an eye on it but not any help really. Any help on here would be amazing!

Attached Files:

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Well if you went to the vet over a week ago and it hasn't got any better then I would say that you are due to go back! You've 'kept an eye on it' and nothing has changed, so more investigations are needed.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  3. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

As Sarah H has said really. You were told to keep an eye on it, its getting worse so I think the only option is to get back to the vets and get them to have another look. It does look very very sore. He's licking it a lot, because it's sore and painful, that's what dogs do. Please get him back to the vet as soon as you can. In the meantime give it a gentle clean, just with warm water, after his walks as anything that gets in there is likely to make it more sore.

4. ZG23

ZG23 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I went to the vets yesterday so surely it's too soon to go back again. I have no idea what it could be as it's only in one paw

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Leaving it to get worse for a month wasn't the best thing to do; you should have given it about 4 days to get better by itself if it was going to, and then been to the vet. The licking in itself could be exacerbating the problem. It could have started by something like stepping on a nettle and the licking made it sore from there on. Keep it clean and dry. Stop him licking it, put something on it to relieve any itching and irritation (aloe vera is good, or a general antiseptic cream). salt water is good, too - make up a jug with about 2 tsp of salt with tepid water and hold the paw in it for a minute or two, then dry off. The dog should not be allowed to lick it off - use a cone or put a dressing over it.
    If it's not improved in another 4 days, go back to the vet.

Sarah H likes this.
  6. Bugsys grandma

In my opinion, if you're worried about it it's never too soon to go back to the vet. I would always be a bloody nuisance to my vet if I thought my dog was having a problem and was uncomfortable.

7. Bugsys grandma

Just had a thought, maybe try some athletes foot powder lightly 'floofed' between his toes and on his foot, you'll have to watch him really closely though or use a cone to stop him licking it off. Our old lab used to get hot spots on the top of his feet which looked a bit like the pic you posted when he'd been licking and chewing them, and that's what we used every time, along with a cone to prevent him doing more damage. The powder should help stop the itching and make him a bit more comfy at least. But really if you see no improvement in a couple of days you really must get him back to the vets.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One thing that is actually better for athlete's foot than athlete's foot powder (or cream) is Neem cream. It cures athletes foot - on me at least - with 2 applications, 2 days apart. Bioforce make a cream (I get it in my local health food shop), or there's a version called Stinky Stuff for dogs. It does smell, but I like the smell. It can also be used as antiseptic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice