Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog who goes crazy at cats

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jeffw, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Jeffw

Jeffw PetForums Newbie

Hi all, have joined site today after finding it while looking for help with our latest edition Lily who is an 18 month old German Shepherd. When walking her if she sees a cat she just goes crazy, after an initial deep bark she starts screaming and goes mental to get at cat. I am a big lad but am surprised just how hard she can pull. She was very lively with other dogs when we first had her but by distracting her reassuring and avoiding getting close to other dog walkers at first I have got her to a state were she doesn't take much notice of other dogs while walking. With cat though I am making no progress and were you can at least avoid other dogs cats can just suddenly appear from under cars etc.
    Hopping some one can come up with an idea or two as what to do...jeff

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Train her - she isn't much more than a puppy. Try teaching her "leave it - watch me". Start with a few treats in front of her, then a favourite toy, a rolling ball, etc. and gradually build it up until "leave it" is ingrained.

I took on a 6 yr old collie bitch almost 4 years ago now and was giving my dogs a walk after an agility show, the first part of which was along a heavily used cycle track and then into woods. I had no idea this bitch was a 'chaser' until she had me over and almost a cyclist off his bike. The next morning she was taken into the nearest small town for a short sharp lesson on manners regarding bicycles.

Sairy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice