Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog whining in the day. Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lydia_w92, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Lydia_w92

Lydia_w92 PetForums Newbie

We have a 10 weeks jack russell puppy. He is very loving and loves to sleep on our laps. But when he does nod off we always put him in his bed that is in a crate.

However, we just went out for an hour earlier and he whined just before we left (he had been in his crate asleep after his walk for around 30 minutes), we didn't go in beforehand and fuss him last time he was us was when I put him down for his nap. And when we come back in he was whining still.

we let him have run of the utility and kitchen, he had food and drink, a couple of treats and toys. But we can't seem to get him to play alone.

Any advice on how best to tackle his would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Look at the Sticky on Separation Anxiety at the beginning of this section for some tips on training him gradually to be happy when left.

PixieSpoodle likes this.
  3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

As he is only 10 weeks old he will whine a bit once he gets use to you coming and going he will settle. When you return fuss him and say hes been good even if he hasn't

4. PixieSpoodle

PixieSpoodle PetForums Member

I
    Was under the impression it was better not to make a fuss on a puppy who is whinning or barking on your return. It is my understanding that you are then rewarding the noise/behaviour by giving them attention which makes them whine more. This means their barking or whining has caused you to return and give them attention, which is what they want.

Better to totally ignore the whining puppy for at least 5 minutes after you return home, no eye contact no fuss nothing! When the puppy is calm and relaxed you may then pat and stroke the puppy to reward this behaviour, which is what you want.

Rewarding a whining crying puppy with attention just makes them whine more.

I may be wrong. One of the experts on the forum may be able to give you a better insight.

#4 PixieSpoodle, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  5. Lydia_w92

Lydia_w92 PetForums Newbie

Would you leave them also in the day time to whine? As I mentioned, we had left him alone (including when we popped out) over an hour and half and he was still whining?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

6. PixieSpoodle

PixieSpoodle PetForums Member

I would practice at home. Start by leaving him for a very short period of time. Pop out of the room and return instantly and build up. This may be a slow process but always reward the behaviour you want and completely ignored the puppy displaying behaviour you don't want as per above. So practice daily at every opportunity to build the puppy's confidence that you will Indeed return but not because he is whining. Giving any attention to the whining reinforces it and teaches the puppy to whine. Does that make sense. Boulder up from seconds to a minute, then 2,5,10 etc it is time consuming but an investment. This is what i did with my puppy and I still do it to this day. Every time I return home from any trip where I am out of sight of my dog, I ignore her for at least 5 minutes making sure she is clam and relaxed when I hover her attention. I have a lovely 17 month old dog who does not whine or barking (unless someone knocks, then it's one bark to let me know) and she is also clam when I arrive home. I make myself busy for 5 minutes in front of her, no talking, no eye contact no interaction until I'm ready. This has worked beautifully for us. It may be worth a try. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice