Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Whining in crate

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Peter.d., Jan 14, 2021 at 12:39 AM.

1. Peter.d.

Peter.d. PetForums Junior

Hi all. I have a border terrier Bailey he is 8 months old. He has slept in his crate since we got him at 8 weeks old and been fine but the last week or so he has started been reluctant to come in after his night time wee and starts whining and panting when he is put in the crate as far as I am aware nothing stressful has happened in it we have tried giving him treats and even put his kong in with him with peanut butter in and he leaves them. He is gets walks everyday and is fine otherwise.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think the panting signifies that he's actually stressed, rather than just 'trying it on' as he heads into adolescence, so it's possible something has happened that you're unaware of, or something that seemed minor to you but was actually a big deal to him.

Does he have to be crated at night? If he can be left in a safe room then that's probably the easiest solution. Otherwise, can you move his crate to a different room - ideally yours (I'm assuming he sleeps elsewhere currently). Doesn't mean he has to be in your room forever, just until he forms some more positive associations with his crate.

tabelmabel, Sarah H, JoanneF and 4 others like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

Definitely a worried chap from the sounds of the panting. The first thing is not to keep putting him in the crate if he’s so unhappy with it, as you run the risk of turning him into a very stressed dog - simply persevering in the hope that he’ll get used to it is not the answer. I’d give him a break from the crate for a couple of weeks, then start from basics, trying again to make it a ‘good’ place for him. It could be that, in the night, something has frightened him (a noise outside, perhaps) and he’s now associated that fear with the crate (and/or the fact that he’s just feeling trapped in there, so cannot escape whatever it is.) Moving the crate to somewhere else in the house might help in the longer term, but the key is first stopping this stressful situation for him, and, second, getting him used to the crate again. Tied to that, as McKenzie suggests, temporarily putting the crate in your bedroom might make him feel happier. BUT - again - if he’s still stressed get him out of the crate.
    How is he in the crate at other times?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Peter.d.

Thanks for the replies, We will try leaving him out tonight. We have tried him in our room and if anything he was worse he started pacing in the crate. He doesn't go near the crate during the day even if you accidentally land his ball in there he will just leave it. I just dont know what's happened because fireworks, thunder and any other loud noises dont bother him. It would be good to know so I can try and prevent it happening again.

5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

OK, it sounds like he deifinitely doesn't like his crate - for whatever reason. What did you do to get him used to it? Absolutely no accusations here, but did you try to make it a 'happy' place for him, or just kind of figure he'd be naturally happy in there? The best way is to introduce the crate gently, and it MIGHT be (of course, I cannot know for sure) that he was never very happy with it, but you just didn't read the body language (it can be very subtle at first). Best thing is not to put him in there for now, at least.

Lurcherlad, JoanneF and Torin. like this.
  6. Peter.d.

He just seemed to take to it to be honest. He whined the 1st night we got him which we expected but settled down after that. We used to open the door in the morning and just let him come out in his own time where he was settled. I think we will just take the crate away now, he should be safe he doesn't chew anything other than his antler and toys and all the electrics in the living room are turned off each night.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

It can be useful to have him ‘crate friendly’ - you never know if/when you might need to use one. I’d give him a good break from it, then, and if you’re inclined try and reintroduce it - throwing toys or treats in there (whatever floats his boat) and letting him wander in and out. Eventually, if he seems happy, put a comfy bed in there and see if he’ll settle with that. But take it very slowly, let him set the pace and don’t force the issue. There may be a thread on here somewhere with more detail about introducing dogs to crates. All the best with it. :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Peter.d.

I will have a look around now thanks for the advice its greatly appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice