Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walks ??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, May 13, 2010.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I was thinking about dog walking today, while on a dog walk ....

I live in a street where there are atleast 6 other dog owners but I have never seen these dogs being walked routinely or met any of them out on dog walks with Sailor.

Is it me, or are dog walks a rare treat for most family dogs ??

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I like walking mine just as the sun is going down, so theres less people about and so that mine have the whole park to run around and not disturb anyone. Maybe the other dog owners are the same?

3. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

I often wonder the same thing about the dogs in my neighbourhood but their owners could be walking them when I am not at home so...

One neighbour though, has 3 Staffies and he never ever walks them. He said they know no different and I didn't want to argue with him. Strange though, his daughter volunteers at the Staffie rescue!

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I see the same people out and about but coz its all terraces round here you never see who is barking away in the back gardens!:rolleyes:
    There are regular crowds in the parks I go to and there are always off lead Staff's pottering after owners and a couple of old ladies with geriatrics dogs creaking along the pavement!!LOL (ancient ESS, BC and Yorkie reglarly pass by!).

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

You could be right, they might be walking them when I am pre occupied :eek: I should just stop being nosey

same here, bless them :D

I keep seeing one lady with a shepherd mix, thats getting on in years, his poor legs must hurt him soo much, as he looks stiff and walks with an odd gait, but she drags him along, keeping him as fit as ever ... I almost felt bad enough for the poor dog, to ask her to slow down for him, but looking at his old grey face, Im guessing its the daily race along the paths thats kept him going for soo long

6. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Theres a family by me who got a stunning dog, very expensive breed and it never ever gets taken out, unless its at very odd times, I feel so sad to know a dog doesn't get exercise which is probably the most enjoyable, exciting thing for them. I personally could not do that to my dog. Just let him in the garden year after year to toliet. Each week/fortnight the patio garden is washed out and loads of the dogs waste/mess etc runs under the gate and down the back and smells awful. The other day they were playing in the field with their child I take my dog often and I felt like saying 'what about your dog, he'd like it here to wouldn't he not?'

I just do not see the point.

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Someone I used to work for, who lives across the road from me, has a JRT. I've never seen her take her dog out ever!! I've even said that I'd walk her for her, but have been refused. But the dog just barks and barks and barks, and she can't make her be quiet, however whenever I've been over there and she's barked, I've just excused myself from our meeting (once the owners shouted "shut up"), and gone into the front room and getting the dog off of the window ledge, looked at her and just said "quiet!" in a firm voice, and she didn't utter a peep until I left the house!! :)

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont know how some people just dont get the connection between bad behaviour and lack of exercise too.:confused:
    I admit Im guilty of missing the odd day if its between my nightshifts and Im practically comatosed!!:rolleyes: Take last week for eg, I collapsed on the sofa when I got in only for the dogs to spend half the morning barking!:rolleyes: So I dragged myself up and stomped (zombie-like!!) round the park for an hour and a half.:) I got quiet doggies afterwards tho!!:thumbup:

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Someone I know has recently bought a puppy, they said that he will get to walk round the field at the back of their house morning and night and go for a proper walk at the weekends, they simply didnt understand that it might be ok while hes tiny but when he gets bigger it just wont be enough.

10. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yes sometimes it takes all your energy just to go for a walk as sometimes in all honesty you just do not feel like it 2-3 times per day!! It would be nice to just have a day off. But when you get in and they are contented, relaxed, well exercised and shattered it is well worth it :)

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

See I often wonder this too,
    I have seen the EBT over the road out for walks just 3 times and there is two dogs i definitely know never get walked in another house.
    There is one neighbour with an old mutt always seen them out twice a day.
    But i walk mine at 7am, hardly anyone around then.
    When they are older and have more presumably we will see more locals I guess.
    One of my neighboure only saw them for the first time the other day and I have had them nearly 4 months, but mine are walked every day.

Dunno, as I say it is something I have wondered about.

12. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I was out in the garden, letting Sailor have his run about, I chucked him his favourite stick... which is actually a massive tree root, I dug up the other week .... and thought, Sailor wouldnt actually mind just garden loo breaks, so long as I was always out their chucking this stick for him :lol:

So thinking back to the other dogs in the street who dont even to seem to go for routine/proper walks, so long as they are getting stimulation and the company of a person to play with, does it matter if they dont get walked ??
    (as mentioned, under stimulated dogs can lead to behaviour problems... so is playing fetch in the back garden for an hour, as stimulating as going for an hours walk around the field ??)

If I gave Sailor the choice of walking around the field once a day, or staying out in the back garden playing fetch with this old tree root.... which would he actually pick.... I think he would go for both :lol:

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its not just exercise though. Getting a dog out and about is invaluable for socilisation. It should begin at puppyhood and be an ongoing process. Its just me at home and if I didnt walk mine and stop for people to stroke them they would never interact with people at all.:(

14. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

We have loads of dogs in our street and most of them seem to get walked. However our nextdoor neighbours have a rare large breed dog that they hardly seem to walk, they now have a puppy of the same breed and I don't think they ever walk her. It's a shame as we are good friends and whenever I mention about going for walks together or to come along to some of the things we do e.g. organised dog walks etc, they make an excuse. :frown:

15. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

years ago when i lived a home my neighbour had a alsation dog that was never ever walked. We only saw him when he went into the garden to do his 'business'. His claws were extremely long and must have been very uncomfortable for him.

16. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

On my street, we have 11 dogs. Only 2 are walked regularly and off lead (by regularly, I mean 2-3 walks a day, and one of the two is Ollie). The rest are either walked on lead once a day for about 15 minutes max, or hardly walked at all. Two I know are only walked weekly. 8 are active (gundog, working or hound) breeds and the other three are toy breeds.

I find it very sad that dogs are not walked as regularly as they should. :(

17. Dans Mum

Dans Mum PetForums Junior

Dan and I walk 3 or 4 times a day..all of his walks are off-lead and are for anything between 25 mins and an hour, depending on which of his doggy friends we meet :)

Across the road from us lives a lovely handsome chocolate lab boy. I have seen him walked twice in the 6 months i have lived here - and I work from home so see everyone coming and going!

its a shame to see a dog not getting walked but other than that they do seem to care for him, so I guess it could be worse.

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Both neighbours either side of me have dogs. I have been living here for 8 or so months and not ONCE have I seen them out walking!!!

There is a dear old man with a mastiff/rott (old girl, such a sweetheart) and a JRT. He walks them EVERY DAY and we are on a mountain! Actually, I saw him yesterday and his poor JRT broke her leg. He still takes her out but carries her because she's in a cast! That's proper dog ownership for you!!!

19. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

I think people dont realise they would be happier if they walked their dog as the dog is much more settled. I love taking Glen out. Our family dog when i was younger was taken out everyday, sometimes just a 20min walk, which i feel terrible about now. She did usually get longer than that and longer at weekends. But i was just young(12-15) and my mum and dad left it up to us(my brothers and i ) as we had wanted a dog.

20. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I enjoy taking my dogs out regularly - it gives me a bit of excercise and time to think and keeps them stimulated at the same time. That said, although we go for at least two daily walks we go at various times and take various routes. Occasionally I see people who obviously do go to the same place at the same time everyday but some days we don't see anyone whereas we would on the same route on other days.

I think a lot of people round here don't bother at all though :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice