Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Natzxx2, Nov 28, 2018.

?

Should I start my dog walking now?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2019.
  1. Yes, it's worth a try

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, wait until I've started college

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, wait until I'm 18

100.0%
  1. Natzxx2

Natzxx2 PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new here so not really sure how this works but i wanted to ask for some advice.
    So I'm a 16 year old girl and I want to start dog walking and pet sitting. I've obviously asked for my parents permission and they've agreed to letting me walk dogs in my close but not pet sitting because they don't want me going inside strangers homes. I'm excited to start dog walking but obviously I need to be prepared. Does anyone know what sort of things I need to do?
    I've bought a high vis jacket and printed of some mini cards with my first name and number to call me on for the dog walking, and I'm planning on posting leaflets through people's doors. I'm not 100% sure what to include in the leaflets? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm basically just thinking of including my name and contact number, a tiny bit about me and the price for half hour or an hour.
    I'm also aware that a lot of professional dog walking businesses and adults have insurance, basic animal first aid etc etc. I'm starting an animal management course in September next year when I leave school, which includes looking after animals including dogs and some info on dog care and behaviour. I also want to do a basic dog first aid course asap.
    Do you think I should wait until September before I start the dog walking?
    I'm aware a lot of dog owners want their dogs walked while they're at work, but I live on a street with mostly elderly people who are all retired and I also don't have school on a Thursday so I can walk dogs then.
    Has anyone got any ideas of any animal involved jobs? I've tried pet shops, farms and kennels near me but no luck so far :(
    Thanks guys, I'd appreciate any advice :)

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Natzxx2 likes this.
  3. CliffC

CliffC PetForums Newbie

It sounds like you've got an aim and ambition to work with animals - especially dogs - and you've seen the recent growth of the dog-walking/ sitting/day care business. Dog walking's a good place to start and I wouldn't necessarily wait until you start on the course you've wisely booked. If you present yourself as a keen, striving youngster with your parents' backing, then every ounce of experience you can get, the better. In fact the experience is probably more valuable than the cash right now and you could probably tempt some local customers with a low rate to get you started. You're also aware that there's much more too it than just clipping on a lead and striding out; the professional companies often have to abide with local authority regulations as well as ensuring they're insured and present a professional image. I'd suggest that you research the many websites out there which illustrate many of the aspects that you need to be aware of and consider if indeed this is to turn out to be a future career for you.

Natzxx2 and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice