Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking- what do I need??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 20, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have just looked up some quotes and have got back from £60 to £160 but only have a hand full so will keep looking.

Is there anything else I need to do??

We are right next to a caravan site and someone suggested that people may want their dog walked, if they go somewhere the dog cant or whatever. And now that I have been asked to walk these dogs next week, someone else has asked if I can walk theres!

Do I need to register my business or what?

x

#1 PoisonGirl, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

don't know much about the dog walking business, but if your going to be taking out other people's dogs on a regular basis and take money for it, i should think you will need to register it as a business I would also look at some sort of insurance or public liability insurance, to cover you and the dogs etc that are going to be in your charge for the time you have them.

good luck :)

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Opps forgot to write insurance quotes.

Yeah, have looked into the insurance side for the public liability etc and have found a website that tells me what information on each dog I should take.

How do I register a business and I know that you have something like 30 days to declare urself as self employed to inland revenue.

x

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could send Nina a PM, i think she does it for a living.

5. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Thank Nonnie, just caught this question and hope to be of help :)

Firstly, you MUST get public liability insurance. If you contact NARP they also offer registration and insurance and are extremely helpful in setting up a dog walking business.

You should also have a police background check, which shows potential clients that you have no criminal background. All of our sitters have these and we would not consider any applicant with a criminal background for obvious reasons.

You should also have another helper in case you are ill. People often think they can start up a pet care/dog walking business without back up. If clients are contracting you to walk their dog on a daily basis they will expect cover in your absence.

Feel free to pm me if I can help any further :)

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Insurance was the first thing I looked into.
    Didn't know th police background check, does that cost? Even though I know it is clean. Lol :)

x

7. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I'm starting with the police in September :eek:

Anyway, people who i've seen who are in the application process and want to check their records go to their local nick and get a check - it costs about a tenner i think. I believe it's called subject access....

8. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Hi there thought i would step in a help a little, i work with children, so not that far between rofl :D :001_tt2:

Police check:-

You can walk into any police check and ask for Crb, And when i got mine it cost me £10.50

Enchanced CRB you are looking for a 6 week wait, and around £85.00 thats how much i paid anyways.

Insurance:-
    Public L insurance is around £50.00 a year with my job, but then i dont face the issue of dangerous bites lol

Registering with Inland rev:-

Ir, will register you over the telephone, and offer you support groups in your area, these are like "how to keep your accounts" ect..
    They will register you in around 10 mins.

You will need a business name!, or you can just use your normal birth name.

National Insurance:-
    Depending on how much you make quarterly / yearly they will offer you to pay weekly / monthly / yearly.
    Also depending on how much you make, helps them you understand how much you should owe, but i think you will be on small contribtions...So ask for that!!

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks! :)

I was thinking of just calling it 'Walkies' or something.

The quotes for insurance I liked were £73 a year and that covers up to a million for public liability.

x

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Each area of the country has a different address for obtaining a police background check. Just give your local police station a call and explain that you want a BASIC police background check and they will advise. I have 4 potential sitter going through their checks at the moment and it can take up to 6 weeks.

If you contact NARPS on the link I gave previously, you will also be a registered sitter, which is really important to give you credence. They also provide your insurance, so worth contacting them for a quote.

Don't forget to have a backup in place :) If there is anything else I can help with, just give me a shout :)

11. susiejones

susiejones PetForums Newbie

My friend is a dog walker and has been doing it for about 6 years. I am seeing her soon (I meet her every lunch time) so I will see if I can get any tips for you!!!

12. susiejones

susiejones PetForums Newbie

Ok, maybe I'm not going to be much help then! She told me a few bits but to be honest they were in one ear out the other. I think most of them would be reiterating what has already been said by the other posts.

One thing she did say was that her public liability insurance was less than £45 for the year for £1million cover so might help you (and others who do the same job here) save a few pennies!

She didn't have the website to hand (not the sort of thing she takes to lunch with her!) but she did say it was done online with a company called Ashburnham Insurance who she has been with for the last 3 years with no problems.

She's not one to use computers otherwise I would get her to sign up here but if there's anything specific you need to know, feel free to ask as I see her most days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice