Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking/sitting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Linzi23, Jul 1, 2010.

?

Would you use an animal sitting/dog walking sevice??

1. I would use dog walking

13.3%
  2. I would use dog sitting

6.7%
  3. I would use both

60.0%
  4. I wouldn't use this service

26.7%
  5. I wouldn't use this service, i would use kennels

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Linzi23

Linzi23 PetForums Junior

Recently i was made redundant (for the better) as i didnt enjoy my job, now it has gave me the opitunity to do something i love which is working with animals.
    I thought about setting up a dog walking/animal sitting company, But before i get to excited and to ahead of myself I just wondered how many of you would use this service or not.
    any information would be great!! thanks:thumbup:

Please vote

#1 Linzi23, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. rona

rona Guest

I wouldn't but am also going to try to start dog walking for the same reasons as you :)
    Some people have no option but to have someone else look after their dogs occassionally

3. Linzi23

Linzi23 PetForums Junior

I probably wouldnt BUT i have a lot of people who would have my dogs! As you say some people need this service & alot of people now are working longer hours or maybe they are to ill etc. Have you looked into it?? What would i need to start? i am CRB checked, obviously insurance i would need but where is good for insurance?

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I voted dog sitting, although I wouldn't use a sitter who came to my house, I would use a home boarder.

I have used kennels and do home boarding in the past and I'd choose home boarding every time if I could.
    The only reason I used kennels is because I couldn't find a home boarder who would take 2 dogs at once on the dates I needed.

If you could offer home boarding for single dogs and multiple dogs from the same family - never dogs from different homes - I would use your service if you were close to my home :) and had the appropriate insurance etc
    Although I'd only be an occasional customer - I only go abraod every few years.

5. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I have used both and currently use an excellent service that I have used since my dogs were pups.
    I work full time and there has been occassion when I need someone to walk them or have them for the day. This service is a doggy creche. They are collected in the morning about 10am and dropped back around 4pm. they are taken to a field she hires, all secure and spend all day playing. There is a barn in this field filled with water, sofas, beds and crates to enforce sleep on the younger pups.
    My dogs hurl themselves into her van.
    She also does petcaring as an alternative to kennels where they stay over night again not kenneled. Mine were with her this weekend as it was so hot and we were going to a caravan and knew keeping them cool would be an issue.
    Services like these are crucial to people who work full time or have busy lives to ensure their dogs are cared for. Price is important but not as much as watching them looking excited to go like a special club just for them :thumbup:

6. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I would use both if needed :)

7. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Above all I'd try and do some market research. See what sort of market there realistically is in your area. Try and put it into numbers and see what an honest projection of your clients/earnings would be.

I'd love to have a dog walking/pet sitting business but I know it's just not viable where I am because-
    a) Smallish country, lowish population compared to areas in the mainland.
    b) There are at least 5 other pet sitters/dog walkers within a 10 mile area.
    c) Even if I did get a solid little client base- the going rate is so low with this sort of work there is no way I could see myself making even a halfway decent living, paying a mortgage etc...

8. Linzi23

Linzi23 PetForums Junior

Thank you for all your messages, a family friend has just contacted me about it & i have had some good encouraging feed back! I still have a long way to go before i do set it up but i have my heart and mind set on this, i am determind to make it work. thank you every one!:thumbup:

9. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

I would also use both as and when needed, provided everything checked out.

However, as mentioned, you must, must, must do some market research. If you have many other dog walkers/pet sitters in your area, you might be (sorry to sound so negative!) setting yourself up for failure already through competition.

10. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I use both a dog walker and dog sitter. Most days I can get home at lunchtimes, but 1-2 days a week I work in London and it's not possible. My dog sitter also does day and overnight sitting. She picks Zimba up mid-morning and I just collect him when I get home (this could be 10pm). She also does overnight stays. He's treated as one of her dogs and trots around the yard with her and her horse and other dogs, or is 'stunt pup' at her training class :lol:

She's so busy she's not taking anymore dog walking clients and we do have lots of other dog walkers in the area. However it's a very large town with a relatively high employment rate, with a large number of people communting to London. So probably an ideal area.

11. Linzi23

Linzi23 PetForums Junior

I am doing a lot of market reserch and looking at others prices to undercut them! as i said i have a long way to go but i gotta start somehwere! thank you everyone

12. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I would use both, but dog walker more often. Been looking for one for ages, but can't find one in our area! (they all seem reluctant to travel any distance at all)

13. rona

rona Guest

Would you be willing to pay above the normal price for someone who travels to you?

14. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

If it was the right person, who I believed could handle Koda, I would pay average prices plus mileage.....but obviously not from too farm away!

So many round here won't even consider it, and one that did come round took one look at Koda, said he was too big! (even though I had told him on the enquiry form that he was 45kg+)

15. rona

rona Guest

I haven't ruled out walking giant breeds but have said that because of my size, the dog has to have perfect training and temperament

16. Gracie1

Gracie1 PetForums Junior

I haven't used either yet, but would really like to find a good dog sitter/walker I can trust. I work from home most of the time, but occasionally have to go away to conferences in other cities. We only got our dog 3 months ago, and she had a few behavioural problems we've been working on, so when I've been away my partner has taken the time off work to be with her. She's much better now though, so I'd really like the option of a dog sitter when I'm away.

It would really make a difference to me if the dog sitter could come and visit us and go out on a walk with me and Gracie before he/she walked her alone. I'd be happy to pay for this kind of introduction session. Perhaps this is something you could offer.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you! :thumbup:

17. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

I have a ver helpful family! So if ever I needed a lil help I would use them, or my lovely next door neighbour! Dont think I would have a stranger in my house! Wouldnt like that!

18. joannas1992

joannas1992 PetForums Newbie

I am also looking into setting up my own dog walking service and was wondering how much I should be charging? How do group walks work does anyone know?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice