Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking business / Car insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by famousdogguy, Jul 23, 2019.

1. famousdogguy

famousdogguy PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. I really would appreciate some advice.

I'm setting up a dog walking business and going through each step. I've taken out an insurance policy for public liability / pet taxi / injury to animals etc., which covers everything with regard to dog walking.

However, I had planned to use my personal vehicle to transport dogs (securely, of course), and no more than 2, absolute max 3 in crates or with harnesses. I really just wanted the option of being able to transport them if needed (or if the owner wanted me) to walk them elsewhere, or if it made more sense to collect more than one dog at once on any particular day.

However, I'm running into a serious problem with insurance. Despite having a perfect driving record and a good car (though small), literally no insurance company I've called will cover this at all. Not a single one. I've spent two days on the phone with insurance companies. I'm not in the UK — I'm in Ireland.

I'm not going to go the van route just yet, so my question is, in your experience guys, is there enough business out there for people who would be happy just to have their dogs walked on an individual basis in their own area? It's just for the moment until I can upgrade to a small van.

I sincerely appreciate any advice you can give.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It would be difficult. Most people want a walk at lunchtime, so unless you can find clients living close enough together, you'll be restricted to walking one dog at a time.
    You could go down the solely individual walks route, such as for fearful/aggressive/reactive dogs who need to be walked alone which one would normally charge more, but you'd have a poor living based on that.
    But surely the dog transit is covered under you dog walker insurance - you said pet taxi?

3. famousdogguy

Thanks so much for you response. Yes, the public liability insurance policy includes pet taxi insurance — this covers the animals at all times, whether in the car or not. But it seems if I have dogs in my vehicle as part of a business, then I need additional insurance to cover the vehicle while I'm using it for this purpose. One insurance employee even commented on the phone, "are you sure you even need insurance for this?" It was such a novel concept to him that he just couldn't figure it out.

#3 famousdogguy, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Ah, so you have the car basically insured for personal rather than business use? It's easy to change to a business policy.

5. famousdogguy

Thanks for your reply. My apologies — lot going on! I finally managed to get insurance. It took about 15 - 20 phone calls, but only one company would cover it for business use in this particular case. It was pretty stressful. I must have spoken to at least 20 people. But I got it! yay!

Working on making a good, but basic contract now for client's to sign. Can someone give some input on that? Do you use templates, or did you have them created specifically for your company? What did you include in the contract?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice