Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking business at the weekend

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by [email protected], Sep 21, 2019.

1. Lafs@edi

[email protected] PetForums Newbie

Hi

I'm in the process of setting up my own dog walking business. I'm doing all the necessary preparation like registration with Narps, organising a van, preparing website etc. At this moment I'm working full time, on the temporary contract which will end in December. After I finish the first aid dog training I would like to start advertising as a dog walker, but until I finish with my current employer I would only be able to do walks and pet sitting at the weekend.
    I understand that my question is very specific and some places are different from the others but for me, it's kind of testing the water just now. I would really appreciate if you all could please advise if you have any request for dog walks at the weekend please? Could you also please advise if these requests are on a weekly basis or more ad hoc?

Many thanks in advance for your advice. :)

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Hi! Congrats on your new business!
    I do sometimes have walks on a weekend but they are mostly my regular weekly dogs who just need an extra walk or visit at the weekend. You may get people who’s circumstances mean they need regular weekend work but it is definitely not as common as the week work. Also, think long term, you might be ok taking on regular weekends now but are you going to want to continually work weekends when you’re also working during the week? Might not be a problem at first but when you get busier you might relish the odd day off!

You could start advertising for cat visits? Often people need these on a weekend as they are away for the weekend etc. And if anyone needed and weekday visits you could fit them in around your current job?

I started advertising about 6 weeks before I finished my full time job and just said I have availability from September (that’s when I started full time).

3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh just to add, I used to walk for an elderly lady and she would often want weekends as she was almost housebound but I did tell her that I would have some days I couldn’t do!

4. Lafs@edi

[email protected] PetForums Newbie

Hi Teddy-dog,

Thank you very much for your reply and all the information its all very helpful. I will be starting my walking/pet sitting business earlier than planned as forced to do so by my employer actions. Will be doing it Monday - Friday. My website is ready loveatfirstsit.uk and I started to advertising on google, and gumtree.

#4 [email protected], Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  5. Waggy Walks in Wakey

Waggy Walks in Wakey PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I too am just starting out with a dog walking business. You mentioned paying for advertising with Google, how is it going please out of interest? I’ve had Yell on the phone trying the big sell with google ads which made sense but seems a commitment with little income at the moment?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice