Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking and going to the loo!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by MissBee, Jun 30, 2009.

1. MissBee

MissBee PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Sombra is a rescue dog, who we've had for a week. We think she's about a year and a half, and she looks as if she's a collie-cross of some sort.

I walk her twice a day: in the morning and in the evening. We've got a big garden and she roams about in that the rest of the time (except at night, when she's shut in).

The problem is that despite the walks, she waits until we've come back to the house to go to the loo. She's not yet 'performed' even once when we're out.

It's a bit frustrating because it would be great if she'd stop doing it in the garden as much! She's otherwise okay on the lead (she pulls like a train sometimes, but that's a separate issue); how can we encourage her?

Thanks!
    Helen

2. rona

rona Guest

When I first got my boy at 20 months, he wouldn't go in the garden or when out on a short lead but was ok on an expendable lead or when free.
    She may have been trained to only use the garden, in which case it will be difficult to change

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

My springer's 2 he'll only go off lead:)

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My female dog will only go in the garden and not on walks, where as my two males will go anywhere. Not much you can do about it.

5. cdcclub

cdcclub PetForums Member

My girl (collie) would only go in the garden up until she was about 2. This was a nightmare as we go away in the caravan it took her about 24hrs before she decided she could hold it in no longer and had to go, she ended up finding a spot where she was happy with and would only go at that place to dirty.

My brother inlaws dog (another collie) was the same too.

My girl will now go outside on a walk but only at certain points along our walk.

I have always wondered if it has got a lot to do with other dogs scents and perhaps they feel that its not their territory so to speak, In their own garden they rule so can leave their scent where they want.

6. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

We were the same, when we took Bailey away as he only does it in the garden, so he did hold it for ages, but soon did it in the field on the site.
    He still only does it in the garden though, but pees both on a walk and the garden lol.
    x

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can fix this. First, go out into the garden with her, when she is peeing or pooing, attach a word to it - I use 'go biz'. As she finishes, 'good biz', lots of praise and a treat. Get her used to this, after a few days she should be going on command. Then one day when you have lots of time, don't let her go into the garden but take her straight out for a walk somewhere else. If you can plan ahead, you could have fed her more the night before so she will be bursting. Find a good spot and use your command word. Stay out all day if necessary. Keep going until she does her business, loads of praise and the best treat you can give. She will soon get the message.

alphadog likes this.
  8. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Great advice.

Just a thought though missbee, try not to discourage her from going in the garden altogether - when it's hammering down late one evening and you're in your PJs, you'll be desperate for her to 'go biz' in the garden!! Is there a section of the garden you could gravel or put chippings down for her to use specifically?

9. MissBee

MissBee PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and tips. At least I don't have to worry about having to pick up after her in embarrassing situations, I guess!

(I was looking after a friend's dog and we were walking in a popular area; he did the works in front of a line of tourists eating ice creams. Luckily I had a bag to pick it up or I'd have faced the wrath - quite rightly - of some unimpressed visitors. Mortified.)

10. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I know that with mine when they were puppies they would hold it until they got home, we were told it is because they don't feel confident toileting in a public place.
    Sophie will pee on command which is great because the others will go aswell.
    I definately agree with Borrowzig, when she is in the garden try to accompany her going to the toilet with a command.

11. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

My mum and dads Irish Red and White Setter would only go in the garden, they took her to wales for a show once and she went all the way there and back without having a pee and as soon as she got back into the garden she went, its crazy like!! now she is a daft old bat at 11 and just goes when she need wherever she maybe, but not in the house obviously lol

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Mu oh's mums friend has a large flat coated retreiver x and she never pees on a walk. She will only toilet in her own garden so less to pick up! But their lab x only pees out on walks. Lol

If you really want your dog to pee out on a walk, go out for a walk after dinner (not straight away, once it has settled!) and just don;t go home until the dog has done the toilet.. they can't hold on forever! :)

x

13. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

May be she was trained by a previous owner to just go in the garden. I must admit, I prefer my dogs to go in the garden purely because I prefer that to picking up poo's in public areas particularly in areas where there are no dog waste bins!

14. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

My dog also wait till she come very close to home with pooping. I think she think her **** smells like roses, and might sent the area as her territory. But it doesnt really make sense as i allways scoop up the poop and throw it in the trashcan. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice