Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walking and covid-19

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Aahlly, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

I haven’t logged in for a loooooong time and I’m sorry that my first post back is a stressed one but I’m not sure what to do about walking the dogs? The news tonight is of course that we are to adhere to tighter restrictions which I fully support but that means only one instance of exercise per day so what are people who have multiple dogs to walk every day doing?

In the time I was gone I now have four dogs with the latest being my Boston Terrier puppy. I cannot walk all four dogs together at the moment because my puppy is a handful at 11 months old so I walk the dogs in two or three sets. But I’m now very worried about the new rules of only one instance of exercising a day—what’s the best way to handle this? I don’t want anyone getting cabin fever. They’re all used to going for their walks twice a day. Even cutting to one walk a day for them will still mean me being out of the house two or three times a day. I don’t want to do the wrong thing and the rules are clear. This whole situation is making me so stressed and anxious and now I’m feeling guilty thinking that someone is going to have to go without their walks.

kimthecat likes this.
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I suspect you can just carry on as you have been doing. I don’t think that a lady walking a dog at that time will be thought as the same lady walking another dog sometime later. So unless you have unkind neighbours who might be inclined to to tell the police don’t worry too much. I don’t suppose there’s going to be a policeman on every corner. Just be sensible, keep away from others and vary your routes

3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Are you able to drive somewhere remote with all the dogs and walk them together that way?

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Do all the dogs need to be walked every day?

Katalyst likes this.
  5. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

You’re probably right—I’m probably overthinking it. The whole situation is just really overwhelming and the worst is I can’t explain to them what’s happening!

I could get away with not walking Lola every day but the other three get very noisy and restless.

cheekyscrip and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

Possibly. It’s always a bit...”exciting” if I do try and walk all four together. I guess if I pick my location carefully I could give it a go but it’s stressful for a longer term solution.

7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

It's good to see you.:)
    Do you think people would notice if you went out twice.? Perhaps early morning and later in the evening? My two are a handful but since it was been quieter and less dogs , they are better behaved.

Aahlly likes this.
  8. muz

muz The only rabbit I was allowed

So glad that you posted your question. I have an energetic young lab and training plus small garden plus one walk won't be enough. He isn't old enough (10 months) to go on a walk long enough to tire him out for the day.
    I hope it will be ok to drive 5 mins to the woods where I never see anyone, and walk him twice a day. I certainly don't want to catch/pass on the virus, but I don't think that I will be endangering myself or others if I do this.

Linda Weasel and Aahlly like this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I’m in a similar situation with the boxers I tend to take them out one after the other. We are lucky we have a big garden.

Aahlly likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I posted this on another thread ....

Just go about your normal business, be sensible and keep away from others.

picaresque, Calvine, Twiggy and 3 others like this.
  11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Long time no see!

I've got a similar problem. I only have the 2 dogs, and can walk them together, but don't have a garden. I'm going to have to do 1 long walk a day, and 2 or 3 walks around the block. o_O

lullabydream and Aahlly like this.
  12. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Isn't telling someone it's OK to go out with their dogs more than once a day illegal and just wrong? The whole point of these rules are to stop the spread of Coronavirus not to spoil the enjoyment of people.

The reason why the government brought these rules in is because people couldn't use common sense over social distancing. By people flouting these laws, the governments next step will be a total lockdown.

If you can't walk all of your dogs together, walk some each day and play with others in the garden. Or train them in the garden to walk together nicely.

adamantis and rona like this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you don’t have a garden the dogs still need to toilet several times a day.

Recreation isn’t the main issue here.

As long as people exercise social distancing there is no issue.

niamh123, picaresque, Calvine and 6 others like this.
  14. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

That’s very tricky. I am lucky to have a garden so at least potty breaks aren’t a problem for me. I guess you just have no choice!

I agree I don’t want to break the rules and put anyone at risk. But on the other hand I avoid people when I walk the dogs anyway because it’s my “me” time and I just really don’t want my dogs to have to go months without proper exercise, especially my puppy.

I am training them to walk nicely together but it’s a long term project. The three adults are very good but my puppy is still a little unpredictable.

lullabydream likes this.
  15. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

Also thank you everyone for your help—at least I feel like I’m not alone in this because it’s really hard to know what to do for the best.

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What if they all go to the park at the same time!!?:Nailbiting

TBH I think the sensible thing is not to just carry on as normal (but keep your distance). So cut back your walks or go at a really unsociable hour. I would think that if you dont have a garden then taking your dog out for quick pee breaks would be fine as there really isnt an alternative.
    Friend at work was upset as she takes her puppy out 4 times a day for about an hour each as he is an extremely active breed....I pointed out that it was probably too long anyways and maybe it would be a good time to teach him to settle and chill out abit!:D

rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

When we had Dillon if OH was ill or we had bad weather and the pavements were slippy, Dillon didn't get his walks some time for a few days, he was a large dog but he seemed to except he could go out, he hated doing something in his own garden but would if talked into it. So walking once a day shouldn't be a problem for any dog.

niamh123, Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I braved taking the boxers out together luckily people are avoiding each other so no off lead dogs irritating us which is good.

19. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack and I did a pavement walk round the estate this morning for about half an hour or so and passed one other dog being walked on the other side of the road.

A handful of other people were about, mostly just putting the rubbish out for the bin men.

My neighbour was and we chatted briefly at distance but when he went to step forward to fuss Jack I told him (politely;)) not to, just in case.

He might have the virus, sneezed on his hand, transferred them to Jack, I touch Jack and then my eye......better safe than sorry.

Duggee and rona like this.
  20. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

PS.....and we only had have a postage stamp sized garden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice