Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walker killed by cattle

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sharloid, May 17, 2014.

1. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

What a stupid thing to do! I am sorry, and I do feel for them, but some people just ask for it. Has he never seen a western? Did he not know that cattle stampede, as do horses and any other herd animal?

Last year my friend's newfie climbed the fenced into the cattle field. I have never seen any dog jump like that, much less a newfie, but the point is we were terrified that they might stampede and trample him to death. The gates were padlocked and the fence was electrified.

I just can't believe anyone would be daft enough to walk their dog through a field with cattle in it.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Poor man :( I always try & avoid walking around cattle because of stories such as this. Unfortunately sometimes you don't even realise there are cattle around (no signs) until you stumble upon them.

Where I used to live there was a right of way through cattle & there was never any problems, I often walked across the (small) field with Toby with no problems. One day though, I had walked through & a man with a JRT started to walk across, for some reason I suddenly sensed the cows were uneasy & all of a sudden they started running towards him. He hadn't done anything to disturb them & was no where near them, neither was his dog. They were both fine but it was very scary.

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That's what I mean. Sometimes they get a vibe from the dog and us humans with our feeble instincts cannot see it. Horses do not like newfoundlands. Don't ask me why, but I have taken them near tame horses and wild ones and had the same result; stampede. My friend has the same trouble with hers. When we walk past the cattle field the cows come to the fence and give them evil looks as well. But where I walk mine when the cows are in there, there is a sign to say keep the dogs on a lead. That is not enough, stay out is my opinion.

My friend's dog managed to get out because we draped our jackets over the fence to dampen the electricity, otherwise the cows would have noticed him.

5. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

That has happened to me once. We were scootering with the dogs in harness on a path, after a while we turned a corner and were in the middle of a group of cows. The dogs were going mad trying to get to them but we somehow managed to turn around and get out of there. It was terrifying. :(

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Depending on the size of the field, and the lay of the land, it isn't always possible to see if there is any livestock in a field until you start walking through it.

7. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

How sad :( That poor man and his family.

I think it is rather unfair to call him stupid! I have often come across cattle whilst doing longer distance walks and there is either no way around them or you don't realise they are in the same field as you until you are quite close by.

If at all possible, I will always try to avoid cattle (esp cows with calves at foot) when I have a dog with me, as cows are extremely protective. Cattle are naturally inquisitive, but can become excited and then stampede, especially if a dog is present.

I really think the government ought to bring back some public information adverts - and warning about cattle and how to act around them being one of them. It has always surprised me how many people simply don't realise that cattle can be such a threat.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

How dreadful!

I avoid fields with livestock in. Just not worth the risk IMO.

9. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I also think its unfair to say a person deserved it because like you say it isn't all ways possible to see cattle till its too late.

People like to go for a walk in the country side but often fail to see the dangers when they come across cattle.

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

When I lived in York, there were regularly cattle put onto Hob Moor during the summer, sometimes with calves, but thankfully hardly any problems. I got charged at once, well, my old rescue girl did, and it happened completely out of the blue, a young bullock having a bit of a go. Unfortunately, Chloe couldn't run very well, so I had to try and stand my ground and actually ran at the bloomin' thing shouting my head off and waving the leads above my head. It thankfully decided to wander over to their feed and have a nibble of that instead. I've helped wrangle cows a few times and it's not something to be done lightly!

11. Bedhead

Bedhead PetForums Member

I think this is very true. I had no idea that cows were something I needed to worry about until I read it on here. I'm sure there are thousand's of people who would never give second thought to following a footpath through a field of cows.

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

So very tragic :(
    Poor man and his family and friends

It's not always easy to see if cattle are in an area, the lay of the land may be such that you don't have a clear view etc

I think it's an important message to get out that whilst dog walkers need to keep their dogs under control and often on lead around livestock that when cattle begin to appear threatening to let go of the dogs lead - a dog will most likely out run cattle and the cattle are most likely to chase the dog rather than the person.

I am surprised with the number of cases that are reported each year that the general public are still unaware of the risks - but then I suppose if you normally reside in a city you wouldn't take much notice of the news stories relating to these tragedies.

From the ramblers association
    Do
    Try not to get between cows and their calves
    Be prepared for cattle to react to your presence, especially if you have a dog with you
    Move quickly and quietly, and if possible walk around the herd
    Keep your dog close and under effective control on a lead
    Don't
    Hang on to your dog. If you are threatened by cattle, let it go, as the cattle will chase the dog
    Put yourself at risk. Find another way around the cattle and rejoin the footpath as soon as possible
    Panic or run. Most cattle will stop before they reach you. If they follow just walk on quietly

#12 Fleur, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  13. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Who said he deserved it? I said it was a stupid thing to do, but then around here the fields with cattle are not so vast that you cannot see them or at least see an electrified fence and wonder why it is there. I did not say he deserved it.

14. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

I moved from the city to the country about 10 years ago. I used to walk my dogs in a field area near to me, there was never cattle there. One day I looked behing me and a large group of cattle had appeared out of nowhere and were blocking the gate to get back. I had no dog leads with me (stupid I know) and the only other exit meant I would need to go along a busy road to get home which I couldn't do with off lead dogs. So I waited for 2 hours for them to move, and even then I had to walk through a couple of cows. I was terrified and realise these days just how dangerous a situation it was.

15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

When out with Roxy the other day we came across cattle on a stretch of the river that hasn't had any for 3yrs.

They were behind a gate but our route would have taken us through their section of the river bank to continue on our walk. As soon as they saw us approach they looked VERY interested & started towards the gate. Looking at their horns there was no way I was going to continue so we had to turn back, we were both knackered as meant it added nearly an extra our to our journey home :rolleyes:

16. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Poor man and family - I can't imagine seeing your partner killed like that, must haunt you forever.

We walk regularly in a large forest/heathland - its huge and every year for the last few years now a local farmer turns his cattle out to graze from May - September. Each year they seem to open up a few more areas where the cattle previously couldn't get to so we never know where they are. They have young out with them too. Last night we were sat at our favourite pond enjoying the late evening sunshine and the dogs were having a lovely swim when this lot appeared

[​IMG]

they came quite close so we had to have all the dogs back on lead and decided it was too risky so left. The farmer puts up signs saying if you feel threatened to let go of your dogs and get away but there are people with infirm dogs or ones that can't be let off lead for whatever reason so thats not always an option. I must stress this is in a public area not on a farmers land.

17. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

This bit would really bother me :( I know I should put myself first but I don't know if I could do this... leave my dog to the mercy of the cattle. How fast do they run anyway? Could the average dog outrun them? Sorry if that's a stupid question :eek: City girl through and through me, I know very little about cattle. Well, I know more now since being on PF and I doubt it's anything i'll ever have to worry about (living where I do) but I guess always best to be prepared...

18. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I will say that although my uncle was nearly killed by a cow on his farm (he says it was his own stupidity in this instance) because he got between a cow and her calf I walk regularly in the New Forest where there are free roaming cattle, despite practically walking straight into a group of cows through the trees, I've never had an issue, the cows tend to surround the calves and move them on - however this is in open forest and the cows are very used to coming across people, dogs etc - But I would never trust them, I always move away quietly and quickly and if they ever did charge I would let go of the dogs, the dogs would have a better chance without me slowing them down.

A healthy dog should be able to out manouver cows - dogs are more agile. (although it depends if the dog keeps going back to the cows and gets kicked/trampled on or if the dog is cornered)

I compare it to jumping in a raging river to save your dog - we all know we shouldn't and we all know the dog is more likely to be able to get to safety than us but in the heat of the moment who knows what we would actually do

#18 Fleur, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  19. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Some public land has grazing rights attached, that's why you can come across a herd of cows in the middle of York. I'd rather see cows on there than the council plans to turn it into a housing estate.

20. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

How very sad :(

Cows can be extremely dangerous and now it's the spring I'm on the look out in case one of the fields we walk through has had cows put in it as I know Nooka would be very tempted to chase them (although she runs away if anything stands its ground lol).

Even on lead I think I'd just avoid them if she's getting too excited as they could sense probably sense it.

Yes the advice if cows start stampeding is to drop the leads and run to any available way of getting out of the field. A dog is faster and smaller so can get away over hedges much more easily than we can. Though if near an exit I'd probably just run with the dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice