Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog walker & Boarder/Day Care Needed.

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Care4k9s, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Care4k9s

Care4k9s PetForums Newbie

1. Dog Walker needed -
      Part time hrs (10am-2pm ish)
      Mon-Fri
      Car Essential

I'm looking for a pooch enthusiast to join our small team to care for a motley lot of K9s.

No experience required but it would be helpful if you like dogs!

The Job:
      Collecting, walking and returning dogs from their homes.
      You can have up to 6 dogs in your care (mostly 4 dogs).
      Your own transport is essential.
      Be responsible walkers and collect the mess they do for you!
      Having dogs come and stay in your own home. This varies from the day to weeks.
      Full training given.

Self employed, you are responsible for your own tax & NI. You will need to submit a tax return at the end of each tax year (April). I use an accountant who does everything for me for £80 a year. (I'm sure she'd be more than happy to help if you need her to). All I do is click submit! You can also claim 45p per mile for using your car. You will need to have business insurance for your car and dog walking/boarding insurance.

Walking most dogs it's £6 per dog (there are small variations, you will be advised of this before you accept the work).

For example: walk 4 dogs per walk @ £6 per dog = £24 per walk x 2 walks £48 per day for approximately 4 hours work .

Day care, as it says, the pooch come to hang out at your pad. Gets 2 walks and can't be left for more than 4 hours at a time. This is £10 per day (operating hours 8am-6pm)

Boarding, having a pooch for their holidays, this for me is the best! I love having all the doggies to stay and would have them all the time given the chance! With boarding, the pooches come and stay like its home from home. Not to be left for more than 4 hours at a time. This is £15 per day.
      You will always have the opportunity to do a free trial with the dogs to ensure they will be suitable for your setting.

If this sounds like something you’re interested in, please send me a mail with details of why you think you are the person for the job along with your CV. I will require a CBR check from you, so let me know your skeletons in application!
      Thank you for your interest.

#1 Care4k9s, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Be careful, if their sole income is from you they can't be classed as self-employed. You can find the qualifying criteria on the HMRC website together with what you will be liable for if/when it comes to their attention.

You should also make potential staff know they will need to pay circa £400 for a licence for boarding at their property, there is of course the chance they won't get a licence.

Best to be upfront from the off to avoid potential issues down the line.

Doscie and kittih like this.
  3. Care4k9s

Hello.

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure where you get your information but I believe it to be incorrect.

A. to be considered self employed, the said contractor can if they wish have other employment but it is not essential. Use their own equipment, ect. I can do a 0 hr contract if the person insists but it doesn't work out well for them.

B. yes you do need a licence, I'm very aware of this. Not sure what council you're covered by but in Bristol it is £80 a year. They will be covered for the licence by myself as I wouldn't expect anyone to break the law. I also cover them for business insurance as well. (but not on their vehicle, also in the interview questions).

I do not mention this in my initial job description because I do not want to bamboozle people with information.

Would you like to see my interview questions to see what is covered?

Once again thanks for your input, A.

4. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

With all due respect I suggest you check out the HMRC website. The very basics though are a self employed person chooses who, when and at what rate of pay they work for. Your set hours of 10am to 2pm and set pay rate do not comply.

You'll have to bite the bullet with PAYE, pensions, holiday, maternity and sick pay etc.

Edit
    I talk from experience of having to change a dozen staff from self-employed to employed status some twenty years ago! And it's got a whole lot tighter since then!!

You may get away with it though, some do.

#4 Dr Pepper, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    kittih likes this.
  5. Care4k9s

If they don't have a problem with it neither do I. I have checked the HRMC web site.

6. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

In that case you'll know you are breaking the law. As I said you may get away with it, or find a self-employed walker who's happy to work for half going rates. Good luck, at least you've had a "heads-up" :)

kittih likes this.
  7. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

As @Dr Pepper says if HMRC deem the self-employed people you are taking on as having employed status then they will assume that all money received by the person was Net and that tax, NI and employers NI will be payable. Whilst the "employee" will be paying their tax and NI regardless you will be asked to pay outstanding employers NI plus interest plus the relevant fine.

Whilst self employed people aren't affected by IR35 they can be subjected to a status test to evaluate whether or not they are deemed employees. Setting working hours, pay, providing insurance and a CRB check could all be deemed as evidence of employment.

You may well not have an issue but you are taking a risk.

Dr Pepper likes this.
  8. Doscie

Doscie PetForums Newbie

I live in Somerset and have previously looked into dog boarding license costs . It states in our area that the cost to apply for the grant of a home boarding animal establishment is £300 and then the cost to apply for a further license is £284...£80? That's a huge discrepancy!

#8 Doscie, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice