Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog Walker Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by RAINYBOW, Jun 4, 2010.

1. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

We are off on holiday and i have booked a dog walker where we are going. They will collect Oscar everyday from our holiday accomodation look after him all day, give him 2 good walks and then return him to us in the evening.

Any Dogwalkers on here who can give me advice on allowing them to let him offlead. What do you do when you have new dogs ???

His recall isn't 100% yet and obvioulsy he won't know them. They have their own dogs an another they look after so he will be in a group. I will give them his whistle anyway because its his firmest recall tool in case of emergencies.

Am i being paranoid suggesting they keep him on, should i let them trust their judgement ?? To be honest one of the walks is on a beach each day and he is generally great off lead on the beach.

I want him to have a good run but i don't want to be worrying about him.
    Also if he is on what sort of lead should i give them, training, extender, longline :confused1:

Have never left him with strangers before :scared:

2. rona

rona Guest

When I start walking dogs, I will not let any dog off lead until it knows me and I know it.
    I don't think any will be let off in the first 2 weeks

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I wouldn't let him off, just not worth it as he doesn't know the place or the person. I'm sure he'll enjoy himself anyway and have fun, I'd let him go out with a long line lead so he can have some running around but personally there is way no way I'd let a stranger let him off.

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have spent months, literally, searching for someone to look after Bella for a week end of September. Nothing that I would ever do in order to go for a holiday or such, but I have to be abroad for my studies and my mom has a commitment for a week or so...

I have finally found a solution I am somewhat willing to accept. After visiting 7 private dogsitters and being disappointed with all, I found a company that comes to visit your house and asses you dog, you spend half an hour filling in forms about every little detail about what Bella likes/doesnt like, her routine, exercise needs etc etc. Then you look through a list of 20 or so host families and pick the most appropriate for your dog.

Even though Bella is walked off lead twice a day with me, I have opted to go with a host family with a big enclosed garden for Bella to run around in, so that her walks will be on the extendy (8 metres) or on the regular lead if near roads. It is only for a week, and after much thought i have decided it is safer for running round off lead to happen in an enclosed garden and for walks to be on lead.

SO I dont think you are being paranoid about Oscar not being let off lead.

5. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, I wouldnt want him being let off either. I would give them the long line if he is used to one and ask him to be on that - that way he will still get a good run and be safe at the same time :thumbup:

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

When we sent Zipper to a boarder we sent him with his extendy and regular lead. So the walker could use either depending on what sort of walk they were going on.
    Regular for road walking, extendy for having a bit of a run about.

He was in heaven when we got him home and we had a good run off lead with us :D
    Although he missed his offlead time - it wasn't worth the risk and he'd had a great time playing with the boarders dogs :)

7. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Thanks Guys you have put my mind at rest, didn't want to appear "precious" but my Mum just looked after him for a weekend at our house and i gave her strict instructions he wasn't to be let off.

We will have him for a couple of full days anyway and evenings so i can always take him to a quiet beach myself then. The people he is going to have a huge fully enclosed garden so he it's not like he is in kennels and is only getting a short exercise each day :thumbup:

Will let you know how i get on. These people sound great and this is a VERY affordable solution for people who can't afford home sitters but whose dogs don't fair well in kennels, a good compromise i think :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice