Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog waking up at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Impostor, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Impostor

Impostor PetForums Newbie

For the past few weeks, my 1 year old Shih Tzu has been waking me and my family up in the middle of the night every single night.
    If we don’t go downstairs (where she sleeps), she barks, scratches things causing them to break, and she finds a way to escape upstairs and wake us all up by jumping on us. This results in us having to go downstairs and comfort her all night. I’m afraid that if we keep going downstairs to her she takes it as a reward and will keep doing it so we’re stuck
    We’ve tried tipping her bed upside down (so she can’t get out the zip at the top), keeping the tv on etc.
    This has never happened from the year we’ve had her, not even as a puppy, so I’m confused as to what’s causing it
    It’s becoming a really annoying issue because it leaves both us and my dog tired all day.
    Hope someone can help!

2. LMH0307

LMH0307 Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you tried putting her crate in your bedroom? She sounds lonely.

O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Impostor

Impostor PetForums Newbie

we do take her upstairs with us occasionally and she does eventually sleep, but she still disturbs us with her sniffing, sneezing and licking so i’m trying to see if there are any other alternatives.
    she was completely fine alone before so idk what happened

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

She may have been disturbed by something the first time and now is unsettled - or maybe something is continuing to disturb her.

I'd do two things - have your crate in your room as suggested, and also train a 'settle down'. You would train that in daytime obviously but once she understands, you can use it at night with her in your room. Then, when she is settled at nights (it might take a few weeks) start moving the crate by a foot at a time towards where you want her to sleep. Have two or three nights at each 'new' spot, if she gets unsettled at any point, go back a step.

Another thought - make sure she gets a bedtime snack in case she is waking hungry.

LittleMow and LMH0307 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice