Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog vs The Guinea Pig

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lianne86, May 10, 2010.

1. lianne86

lianne86 PetForums Member

Ive recently added a new addition to the clan...that being a lovely little guinea pig called Hiccup!

Now... kya has a thing for chasing/pouncing on little field mice or whatever she can spot! when we go for a walk around the woods...so i was a little wary when i bought her home.. now i know some people may say 'why did you get a g/pig in the first place?' but i didnt think it would be a problem..kya has taken interest,.:D but tends to sit by the hutch ALL THE TIME! hiccup seems to play chase across the hutch which is quite funny.
    I know familys that have there rabbits/guineapigs running free round the garden with dogs:scared:

Just wondered if anyone has ever had to introduce smaller non-dog animals to the household and how did they do it? any tips? :thumbup:

#1 lianne86, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I used to have a guinea pig and the three dogs got hold of him and played tug of war which he somehow survived!
    When I was a child we had a rabbit, a cat and a dog and they were all best of friends

3. lianne86

lianne86 PetForums Member

:scared: oh dear! i actually had to giggle then! sorry...yeh i know they can get on...but i have quite a quick/jumpy g/pig...so im thinking a game of chase would occur??? lol

4. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

My 4 are fantastic with my guinea pigs, they are never left unattended but are completely uninterested.

Mine have all been raised around small furries so that helps.
    People still find it hard to believe that i have 4 terriers that have no prey drive whatsoever.

The only tip i can offer is you should consider getting Hiccup a friend as guinea pigs are social animals and enjoy each others company :)

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My 2 are very interested in our guinea pig (there was originally 4 but old age has taken 3)
    They will watch the hutch and circle the run if given the opportunity.
    I'd never leave them together.
    They will sit and watch when we handle the ginea pig but given the chance they will chase.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice