Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog UTI

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jakr, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jakr

Jakr Instagram @susiethestaffy

Hello, I took my dog to the vet about some signs of a UTI. She said that if it continues then to take a sample and bring it in. After that I didn't really see/notice any signs. Since yesterday she's been showing every sign of a UTI that I can find on the internet.

Would a puppy be less excitable if she had one?

How long would it take to kill a dog?

Is an arched back normal?

I'm quite worried so I'm going to get a sample and bring her to the vets in the morning.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The arched back is very worrying and indicates substantial pain.

I think I'd be inclined to just give the vet a call now.

Did they give you any ABs when you went last time?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Jakr

No, no antibiotics.

She only has an arched back when she wakes up from a nap. Is this still not normal?

4. rona

You mean she's stretching when she wakes?

Has she always done this?

5. Jakr

Yeah.. maybe. I'm an idiot.

6. rona

if that's not normal then I'd still be concerned as it does indicate discomfort.
    Also if your pup is more lethargic, that's concerning too.

How long ago did you see the vet and how old is your dog?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Jakr

Nearly 9 weeks and a week ago.(6 days)
    She normally does that when she wakes up.

I can't really tell if she's lethargic as she sleeps a lot. But when she's awake she plays a lot.

8. rona

So what signs of UTI have you seen?

I think it best to take a sample to the vet and then you will be sure.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Jakr

Dribbling, squatting and not going or very little walking a bit then squatting and going a little more then sometimes she will just let it all out and white stuff in pee haven't seen blood though.

10. rona

That really doesn't sound good.

Lets us know how you get on at the vet

11. Jakr

Just a quick update. Phoned the out of hours vet she told me that it wasn't no immediate concern because she's still able to pass urine it means that nothing's blocked. She said to just bring her to my normal vet in the morning. Will let you know then, thanks.:)

rona likes this.
  12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It sounds like she may have cystitis that can come with a urinary tract infection, with cystitis they feel like they need to urinate even when there isn't a lot in the bladder,
    they do keep squatting, sometimes producing a normal amount, sometimes only dribbles and spots and sometimes even nothing if the bladder has been completely emptied. Pee can look whiteish or cloudy if there is infection. Although you cant always see blood with the naked eye it can be present still and usually shows up on the urine testing strips if it is there. You need to have her examined and you need to take a sample to test when you go.

Jakr likes this.
  13. Jakr

Thank you very much.

14. Sled dog hotel

One of my dogs tends to get cystitis when she has a UTI, she has been long toilet trained and clean as she is now 8, but when she has cystitis she becomes very agitated and is forever squatting and wants to go out, if I cant get up quick enough to let her out, she will just squat and go on the floor the feeling to go becomes so sudden and strong, there will be varying amounts sometimes she will squat for ages and produce a spot or two and even nothing when she has it. The symptoms with her usually comes on suddenly she can be as right as reign and normal and then suddenly starts to want to go out and continues to do so. She actually had a bout a couple of months back on a Saturday evening, and I took her to the out of hours vet because she gets so agitated and stressed I knew she would be like it all night. It usually responds quickly to antibiotics and they also usually give her metacam, as cystitis is caused by inflammation and the metacam deals with that quickly. Last time they just gave her a metacam shot and oral antibiotics.

15. Jakr

Okay fre
    Okay great thanks for the info. Currently standing out my back she just went to the toilet and I managed to get the tiniest bit of pee. Does it need to be a large amount for a sample do you know? Thanks for everyone's help.

16. Sled dog hotel

It doesn't need to be a vast amount they will probably use the urine testing strips that are just very thin strips of card that they just need to dip into the urine sample.
    If you are taking her in the morning then a fresh morning sample before you go will probably be better.

rona and Jakr like this.
  17. Jakr

Okay great. Thanks so much.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  18. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

We only managed to get a really tiny dribble once and they could still dip test it and confirm an infection. As SDH says though, the first pee of the morning is usually the most accurate.

Sled dog hotel and rona like this.
  19. Jakr

Hello was at vets this morning, she checked her over and did a test and there was no signs of infection. She gave her some anti inflammatory medicine. (Metacam) if she's still straining after 5 days she will need an X-ray. Thanks for the concern.

rona likes this.
  20. Sled dog hotel

My current vet did say that sometimes there is no actual infection present but they can still have cystitis which is caused by inflammation, hence the metacam given for the inflammation side of things only, so that makes sense with what I have been told. When they tested my ones urine there was signs of infection and blood in the urine showing on the testing strips so mine had both ABs and Metacam shot. It does tend to work pretty quickly so hopefully you should if that's all it is see an improvement soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice