Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog urinating indoors

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by avz10, Apr 16, 2011.

1. avz10

avz10 PetForums Newbie

We have a six year old miniature dachshund. She was basically fully house trained, until our Scotty died in December. She used to follow her when going outside.
    After the initial grievance, we are stuck with this problem. She does it behind our back, so we never see her.
    Most of our floors are tiled, so she urinates in our bedroom on the carpet and on any item made from material lying on the floor.
    I have sprayed our carpet on different occasions with recipies read on the internet- vinegar, cayenne pepper, lemon juice. Someone advised me to use citronella oil, but have not used it
    Any advice please

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Firstly, take her to the vets for a quick check up. I always recommend that the vets is the first port of call when you notice any change in behaviour.

Once she's been and hopefully got the all clear, then I'd go back to the puppy method with her. With all the different things you are spraying on the carpets you are telling her where she can't go, but aren't telling her where she can! Take her outside after every meal, after she has drank, after waking up from a sleep, after every playtime, and every 1/2 hours. Wait outside with her for fifteen minutes, if she doesn't go, then bring her back inside, but if she does go- then she gets mad hyper crazy praise and a little treat (something extra high value that she gets at no other time- cheese or liver for example). For night times take her out before bed, and then every 4 hours throughout the night, and first thing in the morning, and follow the same method.

Scrub down wherever she has urinated in the house in the past with bio washing powder, the enzymes will remove any smells so she isn't attracted back there again.

If she does toilet in the house and you catch her, don't say anything just scoop her up and take her outside (don't even tell her ''no'' as she could start to think she can't toilet at all), if she contines outside, then heaps of praise and a treat. If you just find a puddle and don't see her toileting in the house, just simply clear it up.

Good luck! It may take a little while, but the puppy method seems to be the most effective, even with adult dogs. It's the way I always house train adult rescue dogs.

#2 SixStar, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  3. rona

rona Guest

I agree about visiting the vet, take a sample along with you

4. avz10

avz10 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your advice.

I stll need to take her to the vet, but tried to start with "potty training" again. The rain does not make it easier!!

Just a question about the bio washing powder. They sell a bio classic washing powder here that states that it contains bio enzymes. I s this what you are referring too?

Once cleaned and with a training programme, should we not spray the carpet with a dog repellent?

Thanks!

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, that's the stuff, and no, I personally wouldn't use the dog repellent spray - they often don't have any effect whatsover and sometimes even make the problem worse because dogs will try and cover up this strange smell in their homes with their own scent (urine marking).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice