Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog trouble jumping

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Liv0521, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Liv0521

Liv0521 PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone.

Starting yesterday my cheagle (chihuahua beagle mix) no longer wanted to jump onto the couch. It happened out of no where. The day before he was having no issues. He is 12 years old. So he's no young pup. Has anyone else had this happen? Other than that he sees normal. Drinking, eating and "playing". He's never been into playing much even as a younger dog. So it makes it hard to tell sometimes. Also still greets me at the door, goes crazy when seeing the mail man, and wants to go on walks. So I'm alittle puzzled as to what happened. Thanks for the input.

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think a visit to the vet would be a good idea. He may have some arthritis flaring up in his elbows or knees that's begun to be painful for him. Not wanting to jump is often an early sign.

3. Liv0521

Liv0521 PetForums Newbie

thank you.
    I actually already have an appointment for him tomorrow.
    Just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences before I freak myself out too much.

My poor baby is also prone to fatty tumors and warts, ever since he was a pup. Also noticed a new one, so that needs checked:(

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Yes, when my dogs arthritis got worse she was hesitant to jump...also with failing eye sight sometimes that can effect things like going up and down things as they cannot judge distances...

After complications after a spay...my chihuahua was very sore, and was reluctant to jump, and same too was my Yorkie after being attacked, mainly neck pain. So pain is often a factor. Dogs are not stupid...many will not eat a particular food if they know it's a trigger to make them ill.

So as it's really worth get all joints checked over, the pain could be any where. It may be the beginning of arthritis, not out of the realms of possibility, could be pain somewhere stomach related..as I said my chihuahua really would refuse to jump but seemed fine and waggy self after being spayed but that was my indication that she was not right. After having previous dogs spayed, it's usually fighting them to stop them jumping off things, and not doing things they shouldn't. Am sure at your dogs age your vet will give a thorough check over...

The only other thing in relation to what you say about the fatty lumps he has, depending where they are, sometimes they can inhibit movement, and it might be coincidence that it might just be that.

Hope the vets visit goes well..they do worry us sick sometimes.

5. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Maybe he can't see so well anymore and finds it difficult to judge his jump? Or maybe he is getting a little stiff and doesn't want to flex his leg muscles.

6. Liv0521

Liv0521 PetForums Newbie

I'm thinking his eye sight is okay. I haven't noticed any vision problems. But then again I don't see what he sees.

I've ran my hands down all his bones and didn't find any lumps or swelling on the bones anywhere.

His fatty lumps aren't anywhere where I feel like they'd hinder him. He's got one on his chest and stomach. But he's had those since he was at least 6. (When I got him) and they have never bothered him.

The new bump I found is on his foot. It looks more like a wart. He has a few of those also since he was younger.

I'm just always afraid of the c word when it comes to my fur babies.

7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It's much more likely to be stiff joints. Try not to worry before you have to.

8. Liv0521

Liv0521 PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone :)

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Usually joints need a thorough examination...with a vet having a good feel and manipulation my vet does this as standard on all dogs. .

Eye sight problems can easily be missed in dogs, as it can be in children as dogs adapt well if your not continuously moving furniture around..

Just mention the said problem to the vets and they will take it from there...they will know what questions to ask which may suddenly ring a bell with you without thinking.

Try not to worry

10. Liv0521

Liv0521 PetForums Newbie

I think I'm just as worried about the bump on his leg. Even though he's prone to getting these, they still always make me a little on edge and that "what if" fear is always the first thought.

Praying for a good vet visit

11. Liv0521

Liv0521 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies.

vet visit went pretty good. She said she's not feeling any arthritis yet. She believes he must have hurt himself jumping out of bed that morning. He is now back to jumping up onto things again. :)

Had all of his bumps checked, and just got the call, all begnin!

rona and lullabydream like this.
  12. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Oh that's great news on both counts!

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Often signs of not wanting to jump up onto things is a sign that they have discomfort or pain in the rear legs or lower spine. At 12 its quite possible that he may be having a few arthritic changes to his joints and getting a bit stiff or sore. Ageing joints don't seem to cope so well with knocks and stresses and strains either so he may have even done something to make himself sore.

Other signs you often see are acting slower or more cagy about doing it when going from a standing or sitting position to a laying position when they either lay or rise too.

The best thing to do if it keeps happening is to get the vet to check him over, sometimes pain and stiffness isn't that apparent until a vet carried out an orthopaedic exam.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice