Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dog treats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Gratch, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

My pet local pet shop has suddenly decided to not bother stocking cat treats anymore! The only ones they had were the fishy ones and only until they're gone, which means quite a walk to a supermarket to get them. I'll have to bulk buy and will probably just end up doing it online for convenience but meanwhile I had a look for some softish dog chews and the only ones I could find were Pedigree Schmackos. Will they be fine having this as a treat for a few weeks or is it best not bother until I get cat treats in? They're used to the pay day routine and they were fairly annoyed with me when I didn't return with their chew sticks and malt treats :( They do get healthier 'snacks' like chicken and such but they really enjoy the treats.

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I know, I hate it when the shops discontinue something you really like!

Depends on what's actually in the treats but personally I wouldn't interchange them. At best you could risk giving them upset stomachs!

Any other ones available in the supermarket for instance while you await your online order or just continue with the chicken and healthier options for now?

3. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I'll have to go have a lookie, looks like dad will have to be taxi since they're still not talking to me :D I could get them the whiskas sticks but they don't like them alot and they're alot softer but it'll have to do for now. I'll up the chicken for a while aswell and go all out for them next payday on zooplus :)

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I've never tried giving dog treats to a cat but I wouldn't think they would do much harm other than as Ianthi says possibly the runs. Knowing how fussy my madam is she would probably just turn her nose up at them anyway. My moggy boy never had treats - he was quite happy with a couple of cat biscuits as a treat :p
    Prawns make a nice treat as well as chicken if you have any :)

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Unfortunately my cats aren't into fishy flavours :( My moms cats would tear your arms off to get to prawns/tuna but mine just won't touch it. Still got 6 unused tins of cat tuna that I'm hoping the kittens will eventually eat lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice