Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Dog training who was right?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emma Cooper, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Emma Cooper

Emma Cooper PetForums Junior

I wrote a post yesterday asking advice about my 10 month old who has lead frustration.

I have made an appointment with a positive trainer.

However I have carried on trying to train him by keeping his focus on me with treats and walking away when he gets whto To crazy.

on our walk I was trying to keep his focus on me when another dog and lady came, he was doing ok but the dog got to too close and he started to bark.

The lady came up to me andasaid "are you not use to dogs?" and "have you seen the dog whisperer"

She just assumed my dog was agressive (he is not it due to frustration of wanting to play, but can have a little go at a dog when he gets to worked up from the barking)

I said "I don't like the way the dog whisperer trains".

She then asked if he was friendly to people. I said "yes", so she started to fuss him then held his head in to the ground so he couldn't move he was getting worked up I told her to let go or he will bite and I picked him up.

She also told me that I was "letting my dog win by walking away when he started to bark and I was ment to just stand there and he would stop"

Am I in the wrong in the way I should be training him or is she?

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

No, you do what you feel is right but I think you need to learn to be more assertive & not let people treat your dog like this. Dog training isn't about 'winning' but about communication & understanding.

It sounds mad but maybe try practising with a friend telling people not to pat your dog, or not to let their dogs approach yours, etc as well as actually training your dog. We used to do that at our puppy classes as some people do find this sort of thing difficult & practising helps your confidence with this

Sarah H, Sairy, Burrowzig and 3 others like this.
  3. Emma Cooper

Thanks for the reply. It was more the fact that this stranger came up to me and said her advice then with no warning decided to hold my dogs head on the ground without my permission . Is that normal?

4. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

No. If you see her again tell her to ignore Cesaer Millan the dog abuser.

Lurcherlad and Emma Cooper like this.
  5. Emma Cooper

That's what I thought hopefully the trainer will help sort this problem out.

6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I don’t know about your dog getting upset, but I certainly would if a stranger held my dogs head to the ground. What a daft women.
    You seem to be doing all the right things, so ignore her. If she stops you again and tries to give you the benefit of her strange wisdom then just say that your dog behaviourist (sounds more impressive then trainer) has told you to do it this way. If she queries it, come up with a long list of qualifications that your dog behaviourist has and ask if she has these qualifications too. She will waffle on about not needing them as she knows best I expect but you can add you would rather listen to your qualified and highly experienced behaviourist thank you.

Burrowzig likes this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

No but unfortunately there are too many 'know-it-all's' about. When I first got my second rescue dog (a very nervous GSD) I had so many people try to approach me & tell me what to do as apparently all dogs loved them, they 'knew' GSD's & I needed to 'break her spirit' ..... I was polite at first but in the end had to resort to tell one man to f*ck off & leave us alone!

8. Emma Cooper

Thank you I was very angry with her and wasn't very polite. I say dog trainer but it is behavioursit I have booked. I do think some of his behaviour is on me as the walk I take him on is a cycle path. When I took him to the beach he was greeting the dogs very well not perfect but not barking. So I'm hoping the behavioursit will tell he why he acting the way he is. I also will be taking him to the beach more often.

9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:eek: No ! I would kick anyones ass if they did that to my dog !

Lurcherlad, Cleo38 and tabelmabel like this.
  10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

No. Completely weird. I have never experienced anything like that and i hope you won't have to again.

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Good to hear this . :) Also as I said in your other thread , train and practise watch me the about turn and walking or even running away when there are no dogs there so it becomes a habit .

12. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

I would've held her face to the ground - no one touches my dog unless I agree it's OK and especially if it was in that manner... she'd end up half way across the field in a pile of dog sh*t

Torin., Chatcat, niamh123 and 4 others like this.
  13. Emma Cooper

Thank you he knows watch me at home I'm working on doing it for longer and with the distraction s of outside.

kimthecat likes this.
  14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:D OT but it really annoys me when total strangers try to pick my little dogs up because they're cute . They're not toys !

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  15. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Well done. :)

16. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

There's picking up and there's holding a head down on a floor..

kimthecat likes this.
  17. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Absolutely . :)

It could have had serious consequences if the dog had bitten the woman.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. Emma Cooper

Yes I wasn't going to have to put my dog down for biteing someone who was doing that to him it was alreary frustration barking so he was already all worked up and the thing is he is a friendly dog. If he did bite

kimthecat likes this.
  19. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Omg that woman is asking to be bitten (by dog or human im not fussy)! That is definitely not normal!

Teddy is lead reactive due to frustration and you are going about it in exactly the right way, getting distance, treating when calm etc. What is holding it’s head down going to teach your dog? If someone had tried to do that to Teds while he was kicking off I’d end up with an even more frustrated and probably scared dog.
    Also CM is complete rubbish but he’s plastered all over the tv so unfortunately people think he knows best.

20. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

If somebody did that to Buddy if he didn’t bite I might bite.

Bugsys grandma and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice